The OWRC is closed for Autumn interim. We will reopen on Thursday, September 25th at 9am.
The OWRC will host a series of workshops designed to help students prepare for the Writing Skills Assessment. Click here for information on workshop dates and times.
We empower writers and foster a supportive learning community on the University of Washington Seattle campus by collaborating with students, staff, and faculty on all kinds of writing and research. Click here for more.
Writing is a complex process.
- The most successful writing processes are highly interactive and collaborative.
- Good writers talk to others about their work.
There's no such thing as a perfect paper.
- But there are strategies and habits that lead to more effective writing over time,
- and our job is to help make better writers, not just better writing!
We've carved out a space for all writers...
- no matter what your experience level,
- or what type of project you're working on,
- or how far along you are.
This is the place to come and chat with peer tutors and librarians, to grow as a writer in the context of whatever project is foremost in your mind. We can't magically "fix" papers for you (it wouldn't help you long-term if we could), but we can ask all kinds of smart questions and talk with you in order to help you with:
- Understanding the writing task — What’s expected of you? What's going on in this writing situation?
- Researching — Where can you find appropriate resources for your project? How can you identify useful and credible sources?
- Brainstorming — What directions might your writing take?
- Outlining — How might you shape or organize your ideas?
- Drafting — How can you develop your ideas and connect your thoughts in a coherent flow?
- Revising — How can you re-see and reconsider your large and small scale writing choices to make the writing more effective?
We're open to all members of the UW community -- students, staff, and faculty -- and feature exceptional tutors and convenient hours. Sign-up for an appointment today!