If your appointment takes place after 7pm, you will need your valid Husky ID card to enter Odegaard Library.
As in quarters past, the OWRC will be offering small group learning communities, formally known as Targeted Tutoring, to ELL writers in reading- and writing-intensive courses. If you enroll for credit after the course registration deadline, we can help waive the late registration fee. Please click here for information on how to sign up.
We empower writers and foster a supportive learning community on the University of Washington Seattle campus by collaborating with students, staff, and faculty on all kinds of writing and research. Click here for more.
Writing is a complex process.
- The most successful writing processes are highly interactive and collaborative.
- Good writers talk to others about their work.
There's no such thing as a perfect paper.
- But there are strategies and habits that lead to more effective writing over time,
- and our job is to help make better writers, not just better writing!
We've carved out a space for all writers...
- no matter what your experience level,
- or what type of project you're working on,
- or how far along you are.
This is the place to come and chat with peer tutors and librarians, to grow as a writer in the context of whatever project is foremost in your mind. We can't magically "fix" papers for you (it wouldn't help you long-term if we could), but we can ask all kinds of smart questions and talk with you in order to help you with:
- Understanding the writing task — What’s expected of you? What's going on in this writing situation?
- Researching — Where can you find appropriate resources for your project? How can you identify useful and credible sources?
- Brainstorming — What directions might your writing take?
- Outlining — How might you shape or organize your ideas?
- Drafting — How can you develop your ideas and connect your thoughts in a coherent flow?
- Revising — How can you re-see and reconsider your large and small scale writing choices to make the writing more effective?
We're open to all members of the UW community -- students, staff, and faculty -- and feature exceptional tutors and convenient hours. Sign-up for an appointment today!