Pesticides & Health
In the United States, the US Environmental Protection Agency estimates around 10,000 and 20,000 agricultural-related poisoning and injury incidents occur through skin exposure and absorption. A growing body of evidence shows long-term health effects of pesticides, including neurological issues and some cancers. Special concerns are directed toward children whose pesticide exposure and absorption rates are greater due to their size and developing systems.
PNASH PESTICIDE RESOURCES & TOOLS
- Practical Solutions for Pesticide Safety (English & Spanish)
- Download a fact sheet of this page (English pdf)
- Take Home Exposure (Maria Tchong, Kit Galvin, Richard Fenske, pps presentation in Spanish)
- Risk Factors for Pesticide Exposure (Agricultural Safety Day, Yakima, WA February 20, 2008 English Session: Ofelio Borges and Jon Hofmann, Spanish Session: Matthew Keifer and Flor Servin, English pps presentation)
- Minimizing Worker and Family Exposures to Agricultural Pesticides: Effective Workplace Interventions (EPA Pesticide Health and Safety Conference October, 2003: Kit Galvin, Rich Fenske, Marcy Harrington, and Maria Tchong)
- The Long Term Effects of Pesticide Exposure on Human Health: An Update on Recent Studies (Helen Murphy, pps presentation)
- Pesticide Diagnostic Testing: Give Me a Test: I’ll Give You a Diagnosis (2010 Western Migrant Stream Forum: Matthew Keifer, Amy K. Liebman, and Barbara Morrissey)
- Cholinesterase Inhibition, Good Fruit Grower Magazine | March 2009
- Ag Study Offers Data on Pesticides, Cancer Western Farmer-Stockman | January 2008
- Take Heed in Contact With OP Pesticides, Western Farmer-Stockman | September 2007
Pesticide Worker Education Packet - Make Your Own!
- Aunque Cerca...Sano (in Spanish) is a pesticide related comic book available on the Migrant Clinician's Network web site.
- La Loteria de los Pesticides (in Spanish) is distributed through the University of California IPM Program.
- Poco Veneno...¿No Mata? (in Spanish) is a pesticide related comic book available on the Migrant Clinician's Network web site.
- Protect Yourself from Pesticides - Guide for Agricultural Workers (bilingual in English and Spanish) from the US EPA(pdf)
- WPS Jeopardy is a bilingual game (English and Spanish) from WSU's Pesticide Education Program. It is an easy and fun way to reinforce pesticide safety training. To order a copy of Pesticide Jeopardy contact the PNASH Center at email@example.com(800) 330-0827. A limited number of games are available.
Or download and create your own copy: