References and Links
The following publications provide general descriptions of many rural taxonomies, their importance, geographic analysis, and their policy relevance:
- Hart LG, Larson EH, Lishner DM. Rural definitions for health policy and research. Am J Public Health. 2005;95(7):1149-1155. Link to PubMed.
- Morrill R, Cromartie J, Hart LG. Metropolitan, urban, and rural communting areas: toward a better depiction of the U.S. settlement system. Urban Geogr. 1999;20(8):727-748.
- Cromartie J, Swanson LL. Census tracts more precisely define rural populations and areas. Rural Development Perspectives. 1996;11(3):31-39.
- HRSA rural health grants location program eligibility advisor: http://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/RuralAdvisor/
- Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service web site “Measuring Rurality” pages: http://www.ERS.USDA.gov/briefing/rurality/
- Ratcliffe MR. Creating Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas. Measuring Diversity Series, Vol. 3 (1); Mar 2006. Link to pdf.
- Hewitt M. Defining rural areas: impact on health care policy and research. Staff paper, Office of Technology Assessment, Y3 T22/2: 2r88. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1989.
- Ricketts TC III, Johnson-Webb KD, Randolph RK. Populations and places in rural America. In Ricketts TC III. Rural health in the United States. New York: Oxford University Press; 1999, pp. 7-24.
- Ricketts TC III, Johnson-Webb KD, Taylor P. Definitions of rural: a handbook for health policy makers and researchers. Chapel Hill, NC: Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research, University of North Carolina; Jul 1998. Available for download at http://www.ruralhealth.hrsa.gov/pub/
- U.S. Census Bureau geographic definition: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/glossary.html#UR
- Office of Management and Budget’s Metropolitan and Non Metropolitan Areas (county-based)
- Am I Rural by Various Definitions? (RAC/RUPRI site takes your address and reports on rural-urban status per several definitions and program eligibility criteria)
- RUPRI Build your own rural maps
- Isserman AM. In the national interest: defining rural and urban correctly in research and public policy. Int Reg Sci Rev. Oct 2005;28(4):465-499. Link to abstract.
General Rural References
- Council on Graduate Medical Education. Tenth report: physican distribution and health care challenges in rural America and inner-city areas. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office; 1998.
- Geyman JP, Norris TE, Hart LG. Textbook of rural medicine. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2001.
- Geyman JP, Hart LG, Norris TE, Coombs JB, Lishner DM. Educating generalist physicians for rural practice: how are we doing? J Rural Health. 2000;16(1):56-80.
- Glasgow N, Morton LW, Johnson NE. Critical issues in rural health. Ames, IA: Blackwell Publishing, 2004.
- Hart LG, Salsberg E, Phillips Dl, Lishner DM. Rural health care providers in the United States. J Rural Health. 2002;18(Suppl 5):211-232.
- Larson EH, Johnson KE, Norris TE, Lishner DM, Rosenblatt RA, Hart LG. State of the health workforce in rural America: profiles and comparisons. Seattle, WA: WWAMI Rural Health Research Center, University of Washington, Aug 2003.
- Loue S, Quill BE. Handbook of rural health. New York, NY: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers; 2001.
- Ricketts TC III (ed). Rural health in the United States. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment. Health care in rural America. OTA-H-434. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, Sep 1990.
Additional Rural Health Resources
- Office of Rural Health Policy (ORHP)
- Federally funded Rural Health Research Centers - about
- National Rural Health Association (NRHA)
- Rural Assistance Center (RAC)
- National Center for Frontier Communities
- Economic Research Service (ERS)
- Rural Information Center (RIC)
- Capital Area Rural Health Roundtable
- WWAMI Center for Health Workforce Studies (CHWS)
- Washington State Department of Health
- State of Alaska Health Planning and Systems Development
- Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
- Oregon Office of Rural Health
- Wyoming Office of Rural Health
- Washington State Department of Health Rural Health Section