The Gallery Attendant will be the first point of contact for all gallery visitors. They will assist and oversee the gallery and the safety of art work. They may be asked to track and maintain various gallery records, provide exhibition information, answer phone calls, maintain the lobby, assist with mailings, filing and other light clerical duties. Performs other duties as assigned. The Attendant will also need to provide information on a wide range of topics, from directions to the Gallery, to directions to the nearest restaurant.
This is a temporary part-time position working 25-30 hours per week for a period of 5-6 months. Must be available to work weekends and/or holidays.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greet visitors when entering the gallery, and inform them of rules, regulations, and proper etiquette while in the gallery, as well as be fully aware of those rules themselves.
- Become familiar with and provide information on current and future exhibitions.
- Act as a liaison with security staff at Pivot and Allen Institute for Brain Science to ensure safety of the exhibition.
- Act as a role model for other staff, volunteers and visitors while helping to ensure their safety and enjoyment while visiting the gallery.
- Correct or report problems as appropriate.
- Demonstrate professional phone etiquette.
- Handle cash and credit card transactions
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal service. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Professional demeanor in both dress and manner.
- Good interpersonal, written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and project a professional image when giving and taking information.
- Ability to speak with others to convey information effectively and ensure understanding.
- Ability to count cash and make change.
- Prior experience and knowledge of, contemporary art essential.
- Must be able to work in both slow and fast paced environments and able to prioritize work as needed.
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED); and 1 plus year relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A background in art, art administration, art history or similar field of study is preferred.
Special remarks regarding work environment
- Pivot Art + Culture Gallery is open Tuesday through Sunday, 10am – 6pm, with extended hours on Thursdays.
- Ability to stand on one’s feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds with assistance.