Title: Metal & Stone Studio Manager
Reports to: Director of Programs
FTE: $20-$25/hr .8 = 32 hours per week, DOE +benefits
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Pratt Fine Arts Center is seeking a highly motivated and energetic Metal & Stone Studio Manager. Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Metal & Stone Studio Manager will be responsible for the overall vision, direction, budget and management of Pratt’s metal and stone sculpture programs including an ongoing array of educational offerings as well as a studio access program for independent artists. Studios include: Fabrication, Blacksmithing, Foundry, Stone Yard, and Mold Making. The Metal & Stone Studio Manager supervises a full time Sculpture Technician, instructors, studio coordinators and Pratt Points volunteers. The Metal & Stone Studio Manager works closely with the other Studio Managers to build community and maintain positive relationships with partnering organizations and community members as well as to form and drive the mission and vision of Pratt as it relates to the department and program excellence.
Pratt Fine Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Job Description Responsibilities:
The Metal & Stone Studio Manager is responsible for creating educational experiences for a diverse group of people that exposes them to traditional and contemporary sculpture techniques as well as providing resources in the studios that meet the needs of individual practicing artists. The Metal & Stone Studio Manager will work closely with the Director of Programs to refine and strengthen class offerings, studio access, and
Primary responsibilities include:
· Develop and schedule an ongoing variety of classes and workshops to serve students of all backgrounds and skill levels, including options for virtual/online learning
· Foster the growth and success of the studio access program within the Metal & Stone Studios including safety oversight, proficiency testing, policy enforcement, and general communications
· Build annual budget and maintain expense tracking with consideration of curriculum needs, budget capacity and enrollment trends.
· Manage scheduling and supplies for all classes as well as studio maintenance needs
· Create and maintain community partnerships between Pratt and local communities such as the NWSSA and the NWBA by serving as an ambassador for Pratt for new engagement in the Sculpture Studios
· Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate instructors and TAs
· Serve as the primary contact for Pratt policy and procedure compliance with instructors
· Recruit and institute Master Artist class offerings
· Supervise the Sculpture Technician, Studio Coordinators and Pratt Points Volunteers
· Work closely with the Sculpture Instructors, Staff and community to ensure a positive and engaging experience for the students and access users
· Serve on at least one committee. Work with other staff to plan and assist Pratt events and all studio-related special events
· Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts with a Sculpture focus, arts administration or a related field or equivalent experience.
· Prior experience in arts management, teaching, administration for a nonprofit
· Competence in serving diverse populations
· Broad knowledge of sculpture-related topics, trends, processes and skills
· Strong oral communication, written language and project management skills
· Experience with projects and budget management, purchasing and inventory systems, and cost estimation
· Detail oriented: with management and leadership skills
· Proven success in curriculum and project planning, health and safety procedures, implementation and evaluation
· Working knowledge of Fabrication, Blacksmithing, Foundry and Stone Carving studios
· Exemplary computer and internet skills.
· Ability to build strong relationships with diverse community partners
· 3+ years of experience in sculpture (metals & stone) programming and production
· Experience with delivery of online and/or recorded content; technical skills in video production
· Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
· Experience in serving diverse populations
· Passion for innovative sculpture education program building for multi-generational audiences
· Natural inclination toward cooperation, collaboration, and partnership
· Ability to be effective independently and as a member of a team
· High tolerance for ambiguity; willingness to navigate a complex work environment and build efficient systems and procedures
· Practicing artist with connection to local community
· Positive, can-do attitude and a sense of humor
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
$20-25/hr. DOE + 80% employer contribution to medical, dental, and long-term disability. Employee-paid short-term disability and retirement programs are provided,
but are optional. Also includes generous in-kind benefits in the form of class registrations and studio access.
Application Deadline: Sunday, June 14, 2020
Application Requirements: Please send a cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications, and your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as a
resume and three references to Eve Sanford, Director of Programs, email@example.com. No calls or drop ins please.
Pratt Fine Arts Center is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, membership or educational programs and activities. Furthermore, Pratt Fine Arts Center is committed to retaining to a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.