Smart-Rights.com, a Seattle-based boutique Arts Publishing Consultancy, is looking for an Art Publications Rights & Reproductions contractor, to research and license artist copyrights and high resolution images for prestigious publishing projects across a variety of arts organizations.
This is a part-time (up to 20 hours a week), contractor position through Spring 2023, with the possibility of extending. The work is fully remote, and the contractor can be in any location. Pay is subject to experience; the range is $22 – $25/hour or can be a negotiated set fee per project. Candidates should have interest or experience in the visual arts, and a desire to learn about publication processes, including copyright & image licensing, and navigating relationships in the art and publishing worlds. They should be curious and proficient in research, using internet and library archival techniques, be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, communicate professionally, and work independently. An ideal candidate will have experience with Rights & Reproductions and knowledge of copyright law. If you are a quick, motivated learner and are interested in this area of art and publishing, you are encouraged to apply.
1. Researching sets of copyrights and photo lenders for various projects, drafting and sending correspondence to museums and collections, as well as artists, their representatives, or estates, and tracking follow-up queries in a timely fashion
2. Providing assessment reports of ongoing projects, and tracking deadlines and targets
3. Various production tasks, including caption and credit line editing, image quality checks, and filing and tracking copyright and permission forms.
4. Answering routine and non-routine questions. Working closely and proactively with other contractors on projects. Troubleshooting problems effectively, asking for help when necessary.
• Smart, detailed, organized and self-motivated
• Excellent verbal, communication and interpersonal skills, including being highly effective at communicating professionally via email
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel and Word, and using mail merge
• Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat, or a willingness to learn
• Able to work independently and within deadlines
• Above-average writing skills, with a keen eye for detail
• Upbeat, positive, and professional
• Project Management experience
• Experience using AirTable software
• Education or background in Art, Art History, Museology, Library Science, Publishing or English literature
• Microsoft Office subscription
• Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat monthly subsidy
• Work remotely on your own schedule
• Gratis copies of publications you work on
To apply, please visit www.Smart-Rights.com/contractor. The contractor position is open until filled.
Enquires and questions also welcome.