Social Distancing Festival Seeks Submissions

Social Distancing Festival – Seeks Submissions

The Social Distancing Festival is an online artist’s community made to celebrate and showcase the work of the many artists around the world who have been affected by the need for social distancing that has come about due to the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Personally, a production of a new musical of mine was cancelled on March 13, 2020. Yeah, Friday the 13th. Like, come on right? It’s such a weird mix of feelings. Yes it was absolutely the right decision. 100%. But so, so, SO disappointing. That production was years in the making, and my co-creator and artistic team had a lot invested. We didn’t just lose a chance to develop the work, but also to share it, celebrate it, and potentially connect with further opportunities. Instead, I went home, where I was alone, disappointed, and facing a whole lot of free time.

SUBMISSIONS:

Submissions are open to all, though I am currently prioritizing work that was cancelled/disrupted/delayed due to the need for social distancing and COVID-19. As I’ve been reviewing what we’ve gotten so far, I’m seeing that what works for this festival varies a bit based on the artistic medium.

Here are some examples:

Theatre/Musical Theatre/Opera/Dance

-Video taken during rehearsals prior to the cancellation (please check to make sure it’s okay to submit!)

-Costume or set design sketches or lighting plots. Pictures of design elements that never made it to stage, such as props.

-Pages of script submitted by the writer.

-A webcam or phone video of you doing that song or monologue you never got to do!

-Be innovative with technology! Do a scene over Skype or a duet over voice memos!

-Videos of past work may be considered, though the priority will first be on showcasing the work of those artists who had work cancelled/delayed.

Classical music

-Rehearsal recordings or you playing the music you were going to do at the recital/concert.

-Sheet music that you composed for your event.

-Some sort of online recreation of the event that never occurred.

Visual Art

-Photos of the art that did not get to be shown, or from the exhibit that was closed early.

-Photos or video of your site specific work that was impacted by social distancing.

-Links to the alternate ways you have found to show your work, such as a virtual gallery.

Musicians – bands, singer/songwriters, soloists

-I have to acknowledged that this is all a little different in your case, given that musicians survive off of having many shorter gigs, rather than the longer contracts that other artists often have. As a result, I have gotten a LOT of submissions from musicians!

-What I am finding works best is for you to set up a live-streamed concert/recital of sorts, even if it’s band practice or you alone in your bedroom with your guitar, and I will put a link to it on the appropriate date and time. Our events page gets good traffic, so most have been happy with that option.

-If you wish to submit a music video or video of past performance, I will review it. Just please know that space is limited for these submissions as I simply don’t have enough hours in the day to post them all, and it runs the risk of being a SEA of music videos!

Spoken word/Comedy/Book readings

-Video of you performing/reading the piece that had been scheduled for public presentation but was cancelled.

-Live-streamed events work very well in this category – set up the live-stream and let me know the date and time! I will post it in the Events section!

-You can also send in text! There are certainly those who visit this site who enjoy reading. Heck, my aunts both check it every day and they are like the QUEENS of book clubs.

Artists not listed above:

-Your work is probably very, very, deeply cool!

-Feel free to submit what you think would work and we’ll talk!

NOTE TO EVERYONE-Please DO NOT assemble with a bunch of people just to create something! Think of this as a cool opportunity to create something over virtual platforms, ie – editing together webcam videos, recording a FaceTime duet!

I also want to say that I’m sorry I wont be able to post every submission! You will receive an email when if your submission is going live. As this is a rolling submission, this may be a little while. Thank you so much for your patience!

For more information and to submit, click here!