Our research group works on the development of new mathematical and computational algorithms to manipulate and analyze biomedical image data. Our work is currently motivated by the study of brain anatomy and the patterns of its change over time in two broad clinical areas: fetal and pre-term infant brain development, and neurodegenerative processes in adults.
Specifically, we have most recently contributed new approaches to the general areas of computational anatomy (deformation tensor morphometry), image registration, image segmentation and in-utero MR image formation. Our work importantly aims to address both basic methodological development, together with its practical application in real clinical problems, by working closely with a range of clinical collaborators.
- Nov 1, 2014: Congratulations to lab member Averi Kitsch on her new permanent position as Research Assistant and Lab CZAR!
- Sep 24, 2014: New BIOE graduate student, Kristian Eschenburg, starts his rotation in the lab. Welcome, Kristian!
- Apr 21, 2014: Graduate student Mengyuan Liu passes her qualifying exam. Congratulations, Mengyuan!
- Dec 6, 2013: Dr. Sinchai Tsao joins the lab as a new postdoc. Welcome, Sinchai!
- Oct 23, 2013: Lab member Dr. Sharmishtaa Seshamani's paper "A Method for Handling Intensity Inhomogenieties in fMRI Sequences of Moving Anatomy of the Early Developing Brain" is accepted by Medical Image Analysis. Congrats, Sharmi!!
- Oct 14, 2013: Lab member Mengyuan Liu's paper "Spatially Adapted Augmentation of Age-Specific Atlas-based Segmentation Using Patch-based Priors" has been accepted by SPIE 2014 as an oral presentation! Congrats, Mengyuan!!
- Sep 20, 2013: Former lab member Dr. Mads Fogtmann's paper "A unified approach to diffusion direction sensitive slice registration and 3D slice registration and 3D DTI reconstruction from moving fetal brain anatomy" is accepted by IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging. Congrats, Mads!
- Sep 16-20, 2013: National Postdoc Appreciation Week! Chocolate, cupcakes, doughnuts and mooncakes are brought to the lab by grads and undergrads to appreciate the kind help from the postdocs! Thank you, Sharmi, Mads & Ania !!
- Sep 16, 2013: New BIOE graduate student, Chuhern Hwang, starts his rotation in the lab. Welcome, Chuhern!
- Sep 5, 2013: Graduate student Henrique Tomaz do Amaral Silva joins the lab as a visiting student. Welcome, Henrique!
- Sep 1, 2013: Dr. Ania Blazejewska joins the lab as a new postdoc. Welcome, Ania!
- Aug 5, 2013: Undergraduate student Snigdha Kanuparthy joins the lab. Welcome, Snigdha!
- Jul 17, 2013: Talk by Sinchai Tsao (University of Southern California) entitled "Pattern Detection in Medical Imaging: Pathology Specific Imaging Contrast, Features and Statistical Models". Room: RR 443
- Jul 3-8, 2013: Lab member Xi Cheng attends IEEE EMBC (Osaka, Japan) and presents work entitled: "Adapting parcellation schemes to study fetal brain connectivity in serial imaing studies"
- Jun 16-20, 2013: Lab members attend OHBM conference (Seattle) and present work entitled: "Using graph theory to study the development of fetal brain connectivity"
- May 8, 2013: Graduate student Xi Cheng passed his qualifying exam. Congratulations, Xi!
- May 3, 2013: Talk by Devasuda Anblagan (University of Edinburgh/University of Nottingham, UK) entitled "MRI of Placenta and Fetal Development". Room: RR 443
- May 2, 2013: Undergraduates Averi Kitsch and Lisa Harrylock receive the Washington NASA Space Grant's Summer Undergraduate Research Scholarship. Congratulations!
- May 1, 2013: Talk by Ania Blazejewska (University of Nottingham, UK) entitled "Substantia nigra in healthy and Parkinson's brain". Room: RR 443
- Apr 20-26, 2013: Lab members attend ISMRM (Salt Lake City) and present work entitled: "Combining R2* Maps and Slice Registration for fMRI Analysis of Moving Subjects"
- Apr 7-11, 2013: Lab members attend International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging (San Francisco) and present work entitled: "Cascaded Slice to Volume Registration for Moving Fetal fMRI"
- Apr 1, 2013: Undergraduate student Partha Vora joins the lab. Welcome, Partha!
- Dec 10, 2012: Undergraduate student Zilu Ma joins the lab. Welcome, Zilu!
- Oct 23, 2012: Undergraduate student Lisa Harrylock joins the lab. Welcome, Lisa!
- Sep 24, 2012 Undergraduate Averi Kitsch receives the Washington Research Foundation Fellowship for the 2012-2013 school year. Congratulations, Averi!