Autumn 2022 Applications
Domestic Applications: December 1, 2021
International Applications: December 1, 2021
We admit students to start in Autumn Quarter each year.
Criteria for admission:
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required by the Graduate School.
- Applicants must have completed a baccalaureate or advanced degree by the time of matriculation; degrees emphasizing biology, physical sciences, and mathematics are preferred.
- International students must meet all English language proficiency requirements set by the Graduate School for admission and TA appointment. See Graduate School Memo 8 and Graduate School Memo 15 for minimum test scores and other ways to satisfy proficiency requirements.
Please note: The BPSD Program does not require GRE scores.
We consider all indicators of future success, including past research experience, the level of enthusiasm and detail in letters of recommendation, undergraduate records, the applicant’s written statement of purpose, and an ability to discuss research and future goals during an interview. By considering all variables without a preset formula, we select students who will succeed in our challenging and interdisciplinary program.
The most competitive applicants will have studied:
- Chemistry: General, Organic, and Physical
- Physics: 1 year
- Mathematics: 1 year of calculus; multivariable calculus and/or linear algebra are strongly recommended
- Biology and/or Biochemistry: 1 year General Biology plus one advanced course in Biology or Biochemistry
- Undergraduate research experience
Note for International Applicants: Please see Graduate School webpage.