Have you reviewed the information on the Master’s of Science in Computational Finance & Risk Management pages and decided that it’s right for you? Here’s how to prepare for your application.
Minimum Admissions Requirements
The admissions process is highly competitive. Meeting the requirements of admission does not guarantee a place in the program. In addition to all applicable UW Graduate School requirements, CFRM students must demonstrate exceptional command of:
- Calculus through partial differentiation, matrix algebra, and one-dimensional optimization
- Probability and statistics at the level of an upper level undergraduate course or entry level graduate course
- A programming language such as Java or C++, or in a math or a statistics programming language such as Matlab, R/S-PLUS
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Applicants with little or no professional experience are required to take the GRE exam. It is strongly recommended that interested applicants take the GRE Exam at least 30 days prior to the application deadline to assure their score is reported on a timely basis. More information on the GRE can be found here. When taking the test, use 4854 (University of Washington) under Score Report Recipients. The Department code is not necessary.
While the GRE is preferred, applicants who wish to substitute a (GMAT) may do so. Use GMAT code 459-75-53.
Individuals who have roughly 5 years of work experience in the finance industry or who have already obtained an advanced degree in a STEM related discipline may petition for a waiver of the GRE requirement by indicating so in the admissions application where prompted. Waiver requests will not be reviewed unless a full application is on file. If you have questions, please contact us. Applicants who have been granted a waiver of the GRE should consider taking one or more refresher courses that are offered prior to the start of autumn quarter.
We conduct admissions reviews for the on-campus program in one round, with applications typically due in mid-January. We accept applications for the online program until May. This year’s exact deadlines are listed in the sidebar to the right.
How to Apply
Applications for the CFRM MS must be submitted through the University of Washington Graduate School. You will need a number of items to complete this application, including:
- GRE (preferred) or GMAT test results, or a waiver for experienced professionals. Official test results are preferred, but only required if an offer of admission is made.
- Academic transcripts from undergraduate or previous graduate education.
- Statement of purpose, a current resume, and recommendations.
- Completed application forms and payment of fees.
- Other items as identified by your application (e.g. proof of English proficiency)