UW DISCOVER Center for Cardiovascular Disease and Traffic-Related Air Pollution
NIH/NIEHS Grant Number: 1 P50 ES015915-01
Principal Invesgator: Joel Kaufman, MD, MPH
The center will include projects studying the following:
* The mechanism underlying vascular response in people exposed to diesel exhaust;
* Genetic modifiers on the effect of traffic-related air pollution on vascular response and atherosclerosis in a population;
* The role of systemic inflammation in the vascular response to diesel exhaust;
* The impact of diesel exhaust exposure on injury and cell death in heart muscle tissue;
* Reactive oxygen species and oxidative stress in the vascular response to diesel exhaust.
Michael Rosenfeld, professor of environmental & occupational health sciences and of pathology, is the deputy director of the center, and David Siscovick, professor of medicine and epidemiology, is the center's lead physician-scientist. The projects will be led by and will include several other UW faculty members.
DISCOVER Project 3
DISCOVER Project 4
DISCOVER Project 5