- Corylus maxima ‘Atropurpurea Superba’ (Purple Leaf Filbert)
- Elaeagnus pungens ‘Maculata’ (Variegated Russian Olive)
- Garrya x issaquahensis ‘Pat Ballard’
- Lonicera fragrantissima (Winter Honeysuckle)
- Rhododendron mucronulatum (Korean Rhododendron)
The UWBG horticultural crew will be making renovations to the southeast bed, which will include removing, relocating, or protecting other UW plant collections in the project area, followed by regrading of the bed and soil remediation. The 2009-2010 fall and winter planting of new winter-interest trees, shrubs, and ground covers will also take place.
This project will reclaim over 5,000 sq. ft. of bed space that is now detrimentally shaded by elm trees. It will also renew UW Landscape Architecture Professor Iain Robertson’s original 1987 Winter Garden design intent.
This renovation was made possible by a gift from the Arboretum Foundation, which was given to them from Lake Washington Garden Club, Unit 3.