Our contractor, NW Aquatic Eco-Systems, has scheduled initial spray applications to commence on July 26 and continue through first week of August. Postings of project and current spray dates are located at all public accessible waterfront locations. There will be a final follow-up application in September.
Lysimachia vulgaris, Garden Loosestrife, a non-native wetland species is invasive in this area. State listed as a class B noxious weed, it requires control by the land manager UW Botanic Gardens as mandated by King County Noxious Weed Control Board.
- Approximately 5 miles of shoreline property bordering Union Bay including Foster and Marsh Islands in the Washington Park Arboretum
- An initial and follow up spray application to occur between July 15 and October 1
- Both shoreline and land side application of the herbicide Habitat (imazapyr), a selective broadleaf herbicide.
- Non toxic to fish and their food web.
- No significant risk to birds or mammals