All members are required to attend 1 RCC event per year, to meet the requirement for being an active member, and to retain access to the RCC resources such as Hyak or the Cloud Credit Program. Check the calendar for upcoming events. We host 1 general body meeting per quarter, and a number of training events, workshops, talks, mentorship and outreach opportunities throughout the year.
The club constitution may be found here
1. Join our Mailing List and Slack channel
2. Fill out the Hyak Usage Questionnaire/Quiz
The data gathered from this form is useful for future funding requests. Additionally, the form includes a short quiz to ensure users have a basic understanding of *nix languages and are “HPC Ready”. There are some resources that will help you get ready for the quiz:
- Familiarize your self with *nix languages. Many resources are freely available online – here is one suggestion.
- Read the Hyak wiki carefully. It is not intuitive to navigate, please make sure you read the following in its entirety:
- Talk to any of your lab mates who may have prior experience with a remote cluster.
3. Get added to the STF group on Hyak
The account manager for the HPC Club must add your UW NetID to the “u_hyak_stf” group to give you access to the nodes. After completing the questionnaire and quiz, let us know by sending email to the HPC Club officers at email@example.com with the subject line “Hyak Account” to get access. It may take up to a week to be added to the STF group.
4. Set up two-factor authentication (2FA)
Once you have received a confirmation email that you have been added to the STF group on Hyak, you will need to set up your 2FA devices by going to this link, and scrolling down to the “manage your device(s)” section. Follow the instructions there. Once you have set up your 2FA devices, you’ll be able to use your UW NetID, password, and 2FA device to log into Hyak.
5. Add Hyak and Lolo as Services
Once you have been added to the STF group on Hyak and have set up your 2FA devices, the next step is to add the “Hyak Server” and the “Lolo Server” (storage system) to the resources page connected to your UW NetID. Go to the following link https://uwnetid.washington.edu/manage and follow the steps below:
- Click the “Computing Services” bar on the left.
- In the “Inactive Services” section, check the boxes titled “Hyak Server” and “Lolo Server”. Note: sometimes these options aren’t immediately available; if, a day or so after getting added to the STF group you still don’t see these options, email firstname.lastname@example.org and they should fix the problem right away.
- Hit “Subscribe”. Note: it may take up to an hour after subscribing for the service to be fully functional.
At this point, you should be all set to log on to Hyak and start using the STF nodes! Please note that it may take up to 24 hours after you’ve been added to the STF group on Hyak before this option becomes available.