Get Crafty Internship
Title: Get Crafty Intern
Reports to: Education Coordinator
Term: September – December 2018 (with potential for extension)
Hours: Approximately 4-6 hours per week (12:30-3:30pm most Saturdays, mandatory; one additional day per week at BAM)
Compensation: Experience and/or college credit only
Bellevue Arts Museum
Bellevue Arts Museum provides a public forum for the community to contemplate, appreciate, and discuss visual culture. We work with audiences, artists, makers, and designers to understand our shared experience of the world.
Bellevue Arts Museum is seeking an individual for an internship in the Education Department. This person would primarily assist in the planning and execution of the Museum’s Get Crafty Saturday program. This intern supports the Education Coordinator by researching, planning, and facilitating art-making activities for families on Saturday afternoons. The internship offers excellent experience for individuals interested in museum education, family programs, arts learning, and public programming.
Bellevue Arts Museum will work with students to provide educational opportunities that meet college requirements. We encourage interns to seek academic credit for their internship and will assist in any way to help the intern receive it. Check with your advisor or department chair to inquire about your school’s requirements.
- Develop art activities for Get Crafty Saturdays audience, primarily children aged 4-10 and their families
- Relate projects to BAM’s mission and current exhibitions
- Define themes and learning goals
- Assist Education Coordinator with supplies and budget
- Order, prepare, and organize supplies for all activities
- Train and manage 1-3 volunteers (weekly)
- Set-up before and clean-up after activities
- Be on site most Saturdays from 12:30-3:30pm to facilitate activity
- Work with Education Coordinator and Front Desk to record attendance data and evaluate progress
Requirements & Qualifications
- Enthusiasm for working with children in a creative setting
- Interest and experience in museum education, arts education, or related field
- Ability to plan, think through scenarios, and problem solve
- Customer service experience, or experience working with youth and families in pubic settings
- Must be able to work independently and in a team
- Attention to detail related to data and record-keeping
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Physical requirement: manual dexterity and ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
To apply, email your résumé and a brief letter of interest to Lily King, Volunteer Coordinator email@example.com. No calls, please.
Bellevue Arts Museum is committed to creating a diverse environment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.