As a Designer you will work full-time with the design team and production team help develop proposals into knowable, production-ready projects. In this demanding, fast-paced role, you will be expected to complete highly detailed technical drawings that are ready for client approval while handling on-the-fly revisions or as-needed. You will simultaneously provide support for permit drawings, production layouts, and fabrication plans. As you grow, you will assist in building our Design and Client Services departments into an interrelated team that enables Western Neon to operate as a cohesive, solution-driven entity. This is a full-time role, compensation DOE, benefits package available after 90-days for all full-time employees.
Day in and day out, you will assist the design team to complete concept drawings that have been passed off to you with clear objectives but need more information – maybe you need to gather technical data, coordinate with an outside vendor, or realize complex visuals to move a project through its life-cycle. Shifting gears, you will also translate projects in pre-production into exterior graphic applications or illuminated signage components. Along the way, you’ll get to weigh-in on creative concepts, new developments in our industry, and help expand our technical prowess. You will also meet, work, and mesh well with our dedicated team of multi-talented professionals.
- Assist the design team to help generate technically detailed concept drawings for in-progress and/or final client-side proposals.
- Support the Design team, Client Services, Estimating, and Production by translating technically detailed concept drawings into permit drawings, production layouts, and fabrication plans indicating all specifications, hardware, and relevant architectural data.
- Ensure all in-progress concept drawings incorporate accurate, verified, and knowable architectural technical data regarding scale, dimensionality, and structural information.
- Manage production layouts for exterior graphic applications and illuminated elements while taking ownership over all components across the project life-cycle.
- Think creatively about the design and fabrication process.
- Work autonomously while assisting Design team.
- Proficient in the Adobe Suite specifically Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Concept and technical drawing/drafting ability experience demonstrated in an on-line portfolio.
- Knowledge of essential architecture, engineering, and construction protocols as well as fabrication techniques as diverse as carpentry to TIG welding, computer-driven cutting, and 3D printing.
- Degree in graphic design, industrial design or preferably: 1-2 years working in a sign shop, construction or architectural fields with a design/build focus.
- Experience working with illuminated media including neon, LED applications, and incandescent lighting.
- Ability to interact, communicate and present ideas in a cohesive, open-ended manner.
- Strong organizational skills – capable of prioritizing multiple tasks across multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Passion for creativity, problem solving, and an intuitive atmosphere built around set, yet evolving goals. * Critical thinker capable of working autonomously and as part of a team.
Adept in SketchUp, Blender, Rhino, or SolidWorks with an interest/willingness to learn and share new software or digital techniques.