Reports to: Director of Communications & Grants
Salary: $15-18 per hour
Hours: 20-25 hours/week, Non-exempt
Location: Remote, National Office
Deadline to apply: Sunday, October 18th
Black & Pink seeks an innovative and nimble Communications Coordinator to support the Director of Communications & Grants in implementing Black & Pink’s strategic communications and branding identity by managing and expanding our social media presence, creating visual collateral, responding to general communications and development inquiries, maintaining an ongoing social media calendar, and assisting the development and grant writing processes.
This is a remote position with up to 20% travel.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of the organization’s strategic communications plan to advance organization brand, broaden awareness of organization priorities, and increase visibility of organization programming
- Support the creation, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic communications, including, but not limited to: the annual report, newsletters, branding materials, and organization website
- Ensure all external communications meet Black & Pink’s brand identity
- Create and maintain an ongoing social media calendar
- Monitor Black & Pink’s online and social media presence; assess and report on communications strategies
- Utilize software (Mailchimp, EveryAction) for communications with supporters and donors
- Edit and upload video content
- Assist with development needs, including, but not limited to: content creation for funders, review of grant language, assemble grant material in central drive, organize information for grant reporting, and support grant writing process
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to prison abolition and social justice . A commitment to prison abolition and ending the criminalization of LGBTQ+ people and people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA)
- Some knowledge of the criminal legal system and the criminalization of LGBTQ+ people and PLWHA is preferred, but not required
- Ability to set and achieve short, medium, and long-term goals; and plan, prioritize, manage, and complete tasks on time while maintaining quality standards
- Takes initiative and asks questions
- Ability to shift work responsibilities and expectations as the social landscape changes
- Possesses a solid understanding of effective marketing techniques
- Basic understanding of social media platforms and their use
- Must have excellent verbal, written, and editing skills
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively
- Must be able to work remotely and independently
Work takes place in a typical office environment and involves continuous sitting and constant use of hand/finger dexterity, hearing, and typing. Team communications predominantly take place virtually (via
Zoom, Slack, email, phone, text, etc.), and candidates must be comfortable working in a virtual team environment.
As this is a part-time position, benefits are not offered. However, part-time staff work with their supervisors to determine a flexible work schedule, and are able to take time away from work as needed.
FLSA status: part-time, non-exempt.
The above statements are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the job requirements. Rather, they are intended to describe the general nature of the job. This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Submit your resume, cover letter, and at least two samples of work (at least one written piece, and at least one design piece) via Indeed in a single PDF. In your cover letter, please take under one page to tell us about yourself, why you are interested in a position with Black & Pink, and your experience in abolition,
LGBTQIA+, and/or social justice -related organizing, volunteering, and/or professional work.
Black & Pink uplifts and invests in the leadership of people who are formerly incarcerated, people impacted by systems of oppression (i.e. white supremacy, anti-Blackness, transphobia, etc.), people who are LGBTQIA2S+, and people living with HIV/AIDS. Candidates with these directly impacted identities are highly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. Black & Pink does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Black & Pink is a national prison abolitionist organization dedicated to abolishing the criminal punishment system and liberating LGBTQIA2S+ people and people living with HIV/AIDS who are affected by that system through advocacy, support, and organizing.