JIM CROW MUST GO!
CoCA serves the Pacific Northwest as a catalyst and forum for the advancement, development, and understanding of Contemporary Art.
We amplify important voices, including underrepresented artists, by forging critical art opportunities that promote just societal advocacy through the arts.
- Is a collection of art with an observational, political or arts-focused lens about the new voter suppression/Jim Crow Laws.
- Will be composed of works submitted to CoCA by grassroots artists
- Is a call to artists to respond to the question below with new art
Artists’ Call Question
“How can those who do not ascribe to white supremacy and dominator culture stop JIM CROW laws?”
Artists’ Submission Call
- In response to the above question, show the world your feelings and thoughts in a poster
- Each artist may submit one (1) new work for consideration by CoCA
- All artists of voting age in their jurisdiction and ‘supporting the question’ are eligible to submit
- Selected works will be included in the JIM CROW MUST GO! compendium of new work to be published mid-year 2021
- Additionally, CoCA intends to promote the selected works by inclusion on its website, social media, and potential physical distribution
- Two selected works will receive $100 submission prize each
- Sales of the publication will benefit the National NAACP voters’ rights actions
- Emphasis: Visual response to submission question
- Medium: All mediums, converted to digital format, accepted for submission
- Size: Submittals’ ‘aspect ratio’ must be that of 11×17 (1:1.545454)
- Examples: 11” x 17”, 22” x 34”, 55 x 86 cm etc.
- Submission: All work must be converted to and submitted as a digital image
- Digital Specs: jpg or .png(preferred), minimum 3200 pixels wide
- Preferred Size: 3300 x 5100 pixels
- Number of Works: Each artist may submit one (1) work ONLY
All submitted work must be emailed to: email@example.com including:
- One (1) digital image of your work (as an attachment, not a link)
- Your name, as you wish it to appear in any publication or other promotional material
- Your email address
- Your website URL (if you have one)
- Do not send any additional materials, such as an artist’s statement, biography, or other explanatory materials. Your image in response to the question will be judged on its own.
Submittal Due Date
On May 7, 2021
CoCA will select works
- Submitted in conformance with the above requirements
- Received by the May 7, 2021 due date
Works will be used in project publication, inclusion on CoCA’s website, social media, and potential physical distribution.
Notification to selected artists will be by May 20, 2021.