UW Division of Student Life seeks Student Social Media Coordinator
The Division of Student Life at the University of Washington serves as a hub for a variety of programs, services, facilities, and operations that are all designed to enrich the Husky Experience and support student success inside and outside the classroom. See more on our work and scope at: https://www.washington.edu/studentlife/about/.
The Division of Student Life is seeking one UW Seattle student with social media experience and an interest in marketing and communications-related work for a paid internship with the Office of the Vice President for Student Life. Primary responsibilities include coordinating and implementing Student Life’s social media efforts and supporting other marketing and communications-related work. The intern will work with Student Life staff and stakeholders across campus with the ultimate goal of improving student success and engagement with their Husky Experience.
- Pay rate: $17.27 per hour
- Hours: Approximately 5-10 hours per week (average); Generally flexible work schedule
- Anticipated start/duration: September 2022 through end of academic year 2022-23, with possibility to extend.
- Position is performed 100% remotely.
The student selected for this internship will be supervised by the Director of Strategic Communications and Integrated Marketing. Specific responsibilities and areas of focus will be negotiated between the intern and their supervisor.
- Manage Student Life’s social media channels, including content creation, scheduling, monitoring analytics, and community management;
- Manage and help maintain social media marketing calendar;
- Work closely with the Student Life Graphic Designer and Photography/Videography Coordinator;
- Maintain communication with the Director for project updates, assignments, and progress reports, including weekly check-ins;
- Provide general support for marketing and communications initiatives;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience and proficiency using social media (required: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok);
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Organized and attentive to detail; proven dedication to accuracy in each task performed;
- Demonstrated ability to manage time effectively, stay organized, and follow through on tasks and commitments;
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and take initiative;
- Responsive via email and other communications methods (Microsoft Teams, etc.);
- Ability to think creatively and move ideas into action.
- Experience managing social media channels for organizations/businesses/brands;
- Previous and current coursework in Marketing, Communications, Business, or related courses;
- Demonstrated commitment to and interest in campus involvement; Familiarity with major events, happenings, and initiatives around campus;
- Ability to understand, articulate, and learn issues of cultural competency, inclusion, and equity;
- Familiarity with graphic design software;
- Familiarity with basic data analysis.
- Experience with photography and photo editing.
- Experience making/managing video content.
UW Student Life provides student employees with a meaningful work experience. Some intended learning competencies that will be developed in this position include:
- Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly in written and oral forms to internal/external entities
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues and make decisions
- Obtain and use knowledge, facts, and data in problem solving
- Personal Responsibility
- Demonstrate effective work habits such as punctuality, organization, teamwork, time management, and integrity
- Use mistakes as learning opportunities
- Leverage strengths of self and others to achieve common goals
- Use emotional intelligence to motivate, prioritize, and delegate work
Job Hours and Pay Rate
Approximately 5-10 hours per week, $17.27 per hour. This position is performed remotely, with regular check-in meetings over Zoom. Work hours are generally flexible, and may vary depending on occasional events and other needs. Schedules are based upon workload, class schedule, and other academic responsibilities. General business hours are Monday-Friday, between 8am-5pm PST.
As part of our commitment to the student experience, the Division of Student Life will review each student employee’s academic progress via GPA reviews. The intent of these grade checks is to offer our student employees’ holistic support and connect students to resources and academic support services should the need arise. These reviews will begin after you complete your first quarter of employment. GPA reviews have no impact on your selection for the position or your standing as an employee once you begin employment.
Our Commitment to Diversity
At the University of Washington, diversity is integral to excellence. We value and honor diverse experiences and perspectives, strive to create welcoming and respectful learning environments, and promote access, opportunity and justice for all.
We look forward to hearing from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest and experience. In your cover letter, please share a specific example of how you have used social media to inform, engage, or move an audience. In addition to your cover letter and resume, please submit an existing writing sample that exhibits your writing skills and style. This can be anything, including writing you have done for a class or in your free time. Brief is fine, and no need to create anything new. If you have questions, please email Katherine Schiffner at firstname.lastname@example.org