Top Navigation

Danses de Villes

In my time in Lyon, I discovered an array of nuanced characteristics in many public spaces. These qualitative features combine to create a specific “spirit of place,” or in other words, the indescribable feeling that a certain place can offer you. I spent a lot of my time wandering around the streets of the outdoor, open mural museum, the “Musee Urbain Tony Garnier.” One section of the outdoor museum is dedicated to depicting the “ideal city” of various destinations, illustrated by artists from those locations. To me, this is a way for the artists to illustrate the ideal spirit of their places.

For this video, I selected three of the murals: the Ivory Coast, India, and Russia. I did some research on their respective artists, and used that material to inspire my creative process, in conjunction with the murals themselves. At each location in the video, the movement is a combination of an initial improvisation of my take on the space, followed by a composed sequence of movement, representing my interpretation on the ideal spirit of place. This project was a great opportunity for me to use my own discipline to critically analyze a visual experience, and in doing so, I was able to experiment with transforming 2D art into 3D movement.