Soldotna, December 2010

I loved my month in Soldotna, couldn’t have asked for a better experience! December was a lovely time to be there–the days weren’t as short as it would seem, due to extended dusk and dawn, and the fresh snow was beautiful. Peninsula Internal Medicine is a very special clinic–the docs and patients are wonderful. The hospital, which is across the street, has recently gone to a hospitalist system–a big change for everyone, and one that is still playing out.  I spent most mornings at the hospital following a few patients, then went to clinic in the afternoon, and worked primarily with John Bramante, who is a fabulous individual and doctor and community leader. The division of time between inpatient and outpatient is flexible, depending on the resident’s interests. I found the clinic time so valuable and fun that I ended up slanting things that direction.

The apartment residents stay in is feet away from the Kenai river, and is very nice and cozy. Currently one of the hospitalists and his wife live next door. There is cross-country skiing just outside of town, with groomed trails that are lit until 9pm. The beach in Kenai is a short drive, and Homer is about an hour and a half away. The doctors and clinic staff are very welcoming.

I recommend this rotation highly and would be happy to talk more–feel free to contact me.

Jocelyn James, R2

One thought on “Soldotna, December 2010”