Soldotna or Bust!

I had the pleasure of rotating in Soldotna in late September-October 2017 and it has been a dream! One of the best experiences of residency by far. I came to UW hoping that I would be able to do a WWAMI rotation in Alaska and it has vastly surpassed my expectations.

Like other residents have mentioned, your work in Soldotna is at an internal medicine clinic that functions like a referral center.  You see an incredible breadth  of primary care. In my month, I’ve diagnosed myasthenia gravis, carcinoid syndrome, in addition to managing pulmonary hypertension and post-CVA care after a 30 year old had an embolic event from an atrial myxoma.  It has been quite the learning experience and has solidified my decision to go into primary care!

The doctors here have incredible work/life balance. Dr. Bramante and I would often go on long runs together after work and go dog-sledding. Like other residents have written, there’s a ton of outdoor activities to do on your three days off per week! My favorites included hiking on glaciers, watching sea otters in Seward harbor, and seeing grizzly bears fishing in the wild (though also terrifying!).

For those of you lucky enough to come to Soldotna, good luck exploring the 49th state!

Courtney Tuegel (R3)