Findings from the 2000 Senior Survey
• Tacoma high school seniors were slightly less likely
to report that they attend college than the national average, but
actual enrollment rates are exactly the same.
• More students plan to attend college than those who actually do.
• Almost all Tacoma Public School senior students
expected to marry and
mostly before age 25.
• Similarly, most students expected to become a parent at some time —
but mostly after age 25.
• The majority of the Tacoma Class of 2000 was very busy
participating in school activities and doing homework.
• Females were somewhat more active than males.
• Overall, the Tacoma Class of 2000 had a positive
perception of their
• The majority of Tacoma seniors thought that the teaching at their
high school was good, and that teachers were interested in student
• The Class of 2000 was ambitious – most aspired to
career paths that
require a college degree.
• Men and women are very ambitious, but there are some interesting
• Males were more likely to aspire to become engineers or police
• Females were more likely to aspire to be nurses or grade school