Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Program in Neuroscience at the University of Washington.
- Application accepted for Autumn Quarter admission only.
- Website application will officially be available October 1, 2017 for Autumn 2018.
- Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) students not accepted.
- Undocumented individuals are eligible for admission; those with DACA status should refer to the DACA Students page for further details.
- Application is on-line only via the University of Washington Graduate Admissions site.
- Graduate School application fee is $85.00.
- Domestic applicants have a deadline of December 1, 2017 considered for Autumn 2018 admission
- International applicants have a deadline of November 1, 2017 considered for Autumn 2018 admission. (see International Student tab for further details)
Please turn in your application materials as soon as possible after October 1st in case we have questions or there is a problem with your file.
Application materials received after the December 1, 2017; international students November 1, 2017 deadline will be reviewed at the discretion of the Admissions Committee
Here are the basic steps to completing the on-line application for prospective students after October 1:
- Go to the UW Grad School application site: https://www.grad.washington.edu/applForAdmiss/
- If you have not already done so, create a Login ID and password.
- Follow the Neuroscience application instructions through the Graduate School web site.
- Fill out the on-line application form.
- Online recommendations:
- Type in the 3 recommender’s names.
- Make sure you have selected “Online”.
- Once you submit the names, your recommenders will receive an automatic email telling them which web site to go to for uploading or copy-and-pasting the recommendation(s).
- After they have submitted the recommendation, you will then receive an email stating that the recommendation process has been completed. DO NOT choose “Postal”; we do not accept written letters.
- You can monitor the status of each recommendation on the application web site.
- You must upload your unofficial transcripts into the application. We do not accept paper transcripts.
- Complete the online process by paying the application fee using your credit or debit card and submitting the on-line application.
- You will then receive payment confirmation.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. We cannot guarantee that your letters will be seen by the Admissions Committee if you mail us paper copies.
- Part of the on-line application allows you to insert your CV, and a Statement of Purpose into the actual application.
- The Graduate Program in Neuroscience at the University of Washington sees the diversity of our students as one of its most important assets. During our interview process we schedule specific activities for applicants who belong to underrepresented minorities in the sciences. Although we respect the decision of applicants not to disclose their ethnicity, disability or any other personal information that identifies them as an underrepresented minority, having this information helps us introduce applicants to a community they can interact with in our Program, the University, and Seattle.
Requirements and Prerequisites
- Required gpa of 3.0;
- Must have a minimum of 6 months to 1 year of research experience, preferably in neuroscience.
GRE scores will be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to the Office of Graduate Admissions: (Use UW GRE code = 4854 only.) ***Sign up early for testing as the October/November test dates fill up fast.
- For GRE Reporting dates: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores/get.
- GREs must be taken by mid-November in order for scores to reach the Neuroscience Program office by December 1.
- Please request registration forms or previous score reports from the Educational Testing Service (http://www.ets.org).
- Scores must be less than 5 years old. A Subject Test in the discipline of your choice is recommended, but not required.
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – Please see University of Washington Graduate Admissions website for details. Only official TOEFL scores may be submitted.
An in-person interview is required for admission to the Graduate Program–no exceptions.
- Travel and lodging expenses for domestic applicants invited to interview with the program will be provided for by the Graduate Program.
- International applicants must cover their own travel expenses to and from the United States, while the Graduate Program will provide for lodging during the interview process.
Application finalists will be invited to interview during one of these two time periods:
- February 6-7 2018
- February 7-8, 2018.
- NO EXCEPTIONS TO THESE DATES WILL BE MADE!
It is necessary that applicants keep these time periods open, including the preceding day for travel.