Chef Lophe's BUTTERY DATE BALLS
Here's what we need:
- 1/2 cup of Nucoa margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely cut dates (180 grams)
- 1 tablespoon Mocha Mix non-dairy creamer
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon egg replacer
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups oven toasted puffed rice (42 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Here's what we do:
- Spread puffed rice on baking sheet.
- Toast in 350 degree oven until brown.
- In large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup margarine over low heat.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar and 1 cup dates to the melted margarine.
- Keep stirring until bubbles begin to rise in the mixture and it is boiling.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon non-dairy creamer, 1 teaspoon egg replacer and 2 tablespoons water.
- Return pan to heat, boil for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Remove pan from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3 cups oven toasted puffed rice.
- Mix well.
- Chill mixture for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until mixture can be rolled into 1-inch balls.
- Roll the balls in powdered sugar.
Recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies.
Each cookie contains 7 mg phe.