General Position Summary
Job Number: 2019-00376R
King County Library System (KCLS) is seeking a Graphics Specialist with a degree in Graphic Design, Digital Communications or a related field, in-depth graphic design experience for print and web assets, an aptitude in adaptive leadership and design thinking.
This non-exempt position reports to the Graphics Supervisor as part of a collaborative and unique Graphics and Printing Team in the Community Relations and Marketing Department. Graphics is responsible for providing in-house Graphic design, printing services, and bindery support for KCLS materials and projects.
This position, in collaboration with design and print team peers, ensures the success of library staff in their efforts to provide information about library programs, materials, and services to the community by providing high-quality and adaptive materials in a timely and efficient manner. KCLS is able to continuously create opportunities to meaningfully connect and support over 1.3 million patrons throughout King County through the extraordinary expertise and efforts of the Graphics Team.
About the opportunity:
As the Graphics Specialist you will have the unique opportunity to advance the mission of KCLS by creating strategic and innovative design solutions promoting library programs, services, and special projects in print and digital formats. In this senior design position you will directly assess the feasibility, desirability, and viability of a project need with stakeholders and then strategize high-level concepts and creative design solutions. In collaboration with team members, committees, and departments you will advocate for KCLS values and position the organization to better serve the needs of peers and library patrons. You will consistently push processes forward, demonstrating a commitment to the mission of the library system by striving to anticipate future needs and provide solutions that align with the KCLS strategic focus.
In this position you will also manage and track the design and print copy request workflow, including quality review, and increase the efficiency in the production workflow for ongoing projects. You will use direct customer feedback at all levels of your work in order to influence continuous improvement for the effectiveness of projects that impact the entire library system.
About King County Library System:
KCLS has a vision of a world where knowledge allows diverse communities to prosper and grow. In order to support this vision, KCLS creates opportunities through meaningful connections by acting as the knowledge sharing center for over 1.3 million diverse patrons, providing an unparalleled collection of library materials, resources, technology, services, and programs.
Approximately 1,300 engaged and passionate staff provide service in 50 library locations and in community engagement using direct outreach and virtual assistance. The service area of KCLS includes the cities, towns, tribal lands, and unincorporated districts of King County, with the exception of the city of Seattle.
The King County Library System values diverse perspectives, life experiences, and differences. KCLS encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans. We are committed to being equitable and fair in providing access to opportunities for all. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to apply for this position or to perform the essential functions of this position.
To request accommodation, please call 425-369-3224.
Examples of Duties
Essential Duties and Major Responsibilities may include:
- Production design for flyers, posters, forms, and other materials for library programming, and ensure conformance to brand guidelines.
- Research and contribute collaborative design strategies and solutions for programs, projects and initiatives with a system-wide impact. Create collateral and content based on this strategy from concept to final delivery, for both print and digital assets.
- Maintain and update the online workflow system, including: monitor orders, resolve issues, update forms, create and analyze reports, create new methods of tracking work, and process improvement.
- Maintain portfolio of projects and campaigns as well as catalog, document and manage graphic and photo resources; file, archive and maintain project assets.
- Strategize with team members and other staff using visual communications expertise and technical knowledge to assist in the effective communication of KCLS priorities, initiatives and special projects.
Desired Minimum Qualification
Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge and demonstrated experience in:
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Digital Communications or a related field.
- At least three years of graphic design experience, which includes: conceptualizing, designing, and creating assets for print and web. Working with vendors, clients and other designers.
- Alternate qualifications may include an Associate’s Degree in Graphic Design and at least six years of graphic design experience.
We are also looking for candidates with the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, as well as MS Office.
- Extensive knowledge of graphic design principles and the skilled application of typography, color, imagery and composition in print and online.
- Extensive knowledge and practical application of graphic design techniques including page layout, presentation design, image and photo-editing, and vector-based design.
- Considerable knowledge of digital and offset printing processes, photography, and digital file formats.
- Ability to innovate, collaborate, and establish effective working relationships with co-workers and vendors.
- Work on multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment to meet both short and long range deadlines.
- Demonstrate communication, presentation skills, leadership, initiative and problem-solving abilities.
- Work independently to manage projects and participate in a team environment.
- Preparing and presenting information to diverse audiences
- Thinking creatively, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Listening to, understanding and interpreting the needs of staff.
- Establishing and maintaining good staff and team relations.
Core Competencies include:
- Customer Focus – Primarily focused on customer needs, able to deliver high quality, value added services. Constantly strives to find new ways to increase customer satisfaction and understanding, foster equity, and forge meaningful connections.
- Valuing Diversity – Manages relationships with all kinds and classes of people inclusively and equitably; respects, values and encourages the unique dimension each employee adds to the organization and each member of the community brings to the whole. Seeks opportunities to learn from differences.
- Ethics, Values, and Judgment – Exercises best judgment, trustworthiness, and professional standards of conduct; consistently demonstrates organization values, moral principles, and accountability through behavior, character, and action. Defends intellectual freedom and confidentiality.
- Professional and Technical Knowledge – Demonstrates proficiency in professional and technical skills and/or knowledge in position-related areas; purposely keeps up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise, in order to better foster personal success and connections for others.
- Communicates Effectively – Conveys ideas/information in a way that is clear, engaging, and suitable to the audience. Main point of their message is apparent. Listens more than they speak, responds appropriately. Seeks influence.
- Work Quality – Inspires and strives for excellence in all aspects of work including setting high standards of performance for self and others; ensures that results are complete and accurate; exhibits attention to detail.
- Adaptability and Flexibility – Adapts and adjusts comfortably to changing or different situations, conditions, and work responsibilities in ways that still result in productive performance.
- Peer Relationship – Responds and relates well with peers/colleagues; is seen as a team player and is cooperative and collaborative; looks for common ground and solves problems for the good of all.
- Teamwork/Collaboration – Works cooperatively and productively with others to achieve goals and deliverables. Is aware of, utilizes and celebrate their own and team member’s strengths and differences.
- Organizing and Planning – Establishes courses of action for self, can influence others to ensure that work is efficient, appropriately sensitive to real restraints on time and resources. Willing to take a risk.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly using fingers in conjunction with handling and frequent keyboarding, this computer work may be repetitive up to frequently. Constantly sits and occasionally stands and walks. Will frequently reach up to chest level with hands and arms. Neck rotation may be up to frequent to use multiple monitors. The employee will occasionally lift to 10 pounds and seldom up to 20 pounds and seldom push/pull carts using light force.
Work is performed in an office and print shop environment. Work involves constant sitting, extensive close work and use of a PC monitor, and working near moving mechanical parts. Work also involves exposure to fumes and chemicals.