Illumination Learning Studio seeks Art Instructor
Job Description: Art Instructor
Illumination Learning Studio is a cultural, performing and fine arts academy with two locations in Ballard and Phinney Ridge. We provide an inclusive learning environment where students engage in stimulating lesson plans, projects, games and structured curriculum. Our teachers are specialized in the arts and early childhood education.
We are looking for an Art Instructor to join our team of Creative Arts instructors. The Art Instructor works collaboratively with our creative team to develop and deliver K-5 lessons in theater, dance, art, voice and music. The ideal candidate has prior experience in K-5 education, teaching art, lesson plan and curriculum development. This role will engage directly with his/her team to create and deliver fun and memorable learning experiences in the art. The art instructor will be teaching their own curriculum based on the Washington state standards approved by our manager at our 3 locations.
Hours: Part-time, M/T/Th/F – 2-6pm, W – 12:45p-6pm.
26-28 Hours per week (21-hours onsite instructing/assisting, 5-hours lesson plan development, including 1-hour team development meeting, possible 2-hours teaching advanced art for small groups)
Pay-range: $19-23/hr, depends on experience
Reports to: Creative Arts Team Manager
Position Summary and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver an engaging and compelling, K-5 age-appropriate art curriculum
- Develop curriculum that focuses on the Visual Arts Learning Standards/Washington Standards utilizing Line, Shape & Form, Value, Texture, Space, and Color.
- Develop month-long projects utilizing the following art mediums: Paint, Pastel, Pencil, Water Color, Acrylic, Sculpting, Collage.
- Develop curriculum using the following art subjects: Abstract, Expressionism, Illustration, Realism, Portrait, and Landscape, Cartoon.
- Develop lesson plans that are hands on while also teaching the history of art, different periods, and various artists throughout the world.
- Teach students to make portfolios; ensure student portfolios contain their projects from the year; organize and maintain student art throughout the year.
- Assist at school pick-up and during After School programming before Creative Arts Classes begin.
- Organize and plan our annual participation in the annual Phinneywood Art Walk.
- Travel between our Ballard & Greenwood locations to deliver art lessons.
- Order and maintain budget for art supplies at each location.
Education and Skills Required
- Background in art, fine art or art history
- Prior experience teaching elementary or after school ages K-5; classroom size 25-40 students with an assistant
- Demonstrated ability to develop and write lessons plans as part of a pre-defined curriculum
- Ability to contribute to the classroom and work culture in a positive manner
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with supervisors, coworkers and students
- Strong time management and classroom management skills
- Be self-motivated, organized and open-minded
- Ability to work independently or with supervisors and staff