Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/include/common.php on line 89

Deprecated: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/include/common.php on line 93

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/include/common.php:89) in /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/header.php on line 14

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/include/common.php:89) in /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/header.php on line 15

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/include/common.php:89) in /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/header.php on line 16

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/include/common.php:89) in /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/header.php on line 17

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/include/common.php:89) in /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/header.php on line 20

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/include/common.php:89) in /nfs/bronfs/uwfs/hw00/d66/i2sea/iscfc/fluxBB/header.php on line 30
Floods New York City / Extreme Weather / ISCFC Discussion Forum
Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Extreme Weather

In the Northern Hemisphere in 2017 and 2018 brought several destructive hurricanes to the shores of North America, the Caribbean, and throughout the Pacific rim. Such extreme weather events are predicted to get more common and more severe with increasing climate change.

Several participating classes in the ISCFC were or are in the path of these storms and we hope for the best for them, their families and communities.

We would love to hear from students affected directly and indirectly by extreme weather events, and also any students who have been following the news this summer.

What are your thoughts about the connection between climate change and extreme weather events? Has this hurricane season increased your concern about climate change or not? Do you think that US citizens and residents (and others in the region) will take climate change more seriously now?

Extreme Weather >

Floods New York City

romansch

We are seeing a lot disasters around the world. Here in Spain, forests are burning. The topic I want to discuss is the fact that there are floods even in New York (an many others around the world ie. Filipinas, Spain, Japan...).

Your thoughts on this?

I share a vídeo with you about this. I think it's climate change acting:

- Roman

poptima

Climate change (cambio climático en español) is the main culprit in the doubling of natural disasters around the world over the past two decades, according to a report by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction , or UNSDIR, released on Monday.
Since 2000, 7,348 natural disasters have been recorded in the world, causing 1.23 million deaths and affecting 4.2 billion people. Asia is particularly affected: China (577) is the country which recorded the highest number of disasters between 2000 and 2019, ahead of the United States (467) then India (321), the Philippines (304 ) and Indonesia (278). Eight of the top ten countries with the highest number of disasters are Asian.
Droughts, floods, storms, fires, extreme temperatures
The years 2004, 2008 and 2010 were the most devastating, with more than 200,000 deaths in each of these years. The 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami was the deadliest, killing more than 220,000. And the report shows that the progression of these disasters is mainly linked to the increase in climatic disasters. Over the period, the number of major floods more than doubled and episodes of drought, fires and extreme temperatures also wreaked havoc. While floods and storms were the most frequent disasters over the past two decades, the UN estimates that the worst problem will be heat waves .
"Heat waves have increased 232% since 1999. This is huge , says Debarati Guha-Sapir, Professor of Epidemiology at the University of Leuven in Belgium, who co-wrote the report. And the floods in the world, especially in France at present, have increased by 134%, so they have more than doubled " . According to her, "if this acceleration of extreme weather phenomena continues for the next twenty years, the future of humanity certainly looks very bleak . "
Urbanization or deforestation also involved
"More and more people are feeling the effects of this developing climate emergency , " said the Secretary-General's Special Representative for Disaster Risk Reduction, Mami Mizutori, at the meeting. of the presentation of the report. She called on governments to invest in early warning systems and put in place risk reduction strategies.
Global warming is the main culprit in the doubling of natural disasters, the report concludes, but other factors are involved: poorly thought out urbanization, deforestation or construction in risk areas.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer