Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Now It's Time for Action!

All of you have calculated your emissions and you have surely discovered the unexpectedly high impact of some of your behaviors (eating meat, flying to a sunny destination, etc.) on your total footprints.

Are there any behaviors that you are really willing to change or to improve for the sake of the environment? What challenges do you encounter or think you will encounter while trying to change these things? What help, support, and insights from others would make your life easier with these new behaviors?

Let's discuss these issues and make our pledges here!

Now It's Time for Action >

Resuing Plastic Bags

liuh5469

When ever you go to the store you usually come home with 2 or 3 plastic bags. These plastic bags are made from nonrenewable resources and the process through which they are made from releases tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. We can all cut down on the amount of plastic bags we use by just reusing the bags you get from buying groceries. Reusing bags is one of the easiest ways to help your community.

Reyhana

I think it is a great idea to reuse the same bags that we have already used. This is a method of reusing. I also think it might be better if we didn't use these bags at all, since they are plastic, which takes a long time to break down and it is bad for the environment. I think it would be better to buy a tote bag that is made of safe, recyclable materials. Another method is to make or sew together a bag from extra or leftover fabric. This is another method of reusing.

PaoloP

I think Italy is very at the forefront, in the supermarket I haven't seen a plastic bag for over five years, only biodegradable bags are used. On the other hand the use of plastic bottles is very high, we should improve the use of recyclable materials like glass.

ohynh

It is a great idea to reuse but I feel like supermarkets should eliminate plastic bags and convert to paper or fabric bags. In Canada, all the supermarkets I been to the past year does not have plastic bags. I think that it is better to just eliminate plastic bags because once a plastic bag is not useable you throw it away. Paper and fabric bags are just better and more consistent when putting items inside your bag.

Ula.D

I totally agree with you! Plastic bags just feel like such a waste of resources and put a huge amount of carbon into the air. There are two possible ways to help decrease the use of plastic bags. The first is to use reusable bags from your home. My family usually keep ours in the car so we don’t forget, and wherever we go shopping its super easy to carry around. The second is if you do end up with a plastic bag, try reusing it as best you can. Whenever i get a plastic bag i store it in a container in my basement. Ill then take them out as needed for things like lining my trash can, this then at least gives them a longer life, and can end up will less in the landfill less quickly.

Awnin

I certainly agree with you. Plastic bags are so so harmful to our environment and using reusable ones is extremely simple. Everyone can make this small difference, practically no matter where you live, no matter how much money you have. If your local grocery store only has plastic bags available you could make the little choices like carrying your groceries if it’s only a couple things, and if it’s not investing in some quality reusable bags is a good option. My mom is a big advocate on reusable bags and ever since we have started using them we haven’t had to use the stores bags. They are also a lot more durable then the cheap flimsy plastic bags you are frequently given. Also even another plus is that in some places stores they make you pay money for bags, so if you have your own you are also going to save money. Along with saving money, saving time, saving resources, you’re also saving the earth. So I totally would encourage everyone to invest in a reusable bag.

Fiokers

I agree. Plastic bags are terrible for the environment as they stick around in oceans and landfills for thousands of years. Reusable bags are a great way to limit plastic pollution, but another way, though not as good is for stores to stop using plastic for their bags, and switch to paper instead. Paper is decomposable in just a couple months, so this solution is much more sustainable than using plastic. Most large supermarkets where I live have already switched to paper bags, and I definitely think thats a step in the right direction. Overall, though, reusable bags are a much better solution.

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer