Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Now It's Time for Action!

All of you have calculated your emissions and you have surely discovered the unexpectedly high impact of some of your behaviors (eating meat, flying to a sunny destination, etc.) on your total footprints.

Are there any behaviors that you are really willing to change or to improve for the sake of the environment? What challenges do you encounter or think you will encounter while trying to change these things? What help, support, and insights from others would make your life easier with these new behaviors?

Let's discuss these issues and make our pledges here!

Now It's Time for Action >

Cleaning up the World

Kurisu

I believe that we need to start cleaning up the world because all the littering has been harming our world and the wild life for too long. Lots of plastic has been ending up in our ocean and it's hurting so much of the marine life by eating it. Plastic is also another reason of pollution. It also harms our food and our health, it is contributing to climate change.We need to start picking our waste/trash.

Saeedih1348

I agree, we are harming Earth. We all need to start cleaning/recycling.

lucinda_grace

I completely agree. Humans have polluted the Earth for long enough, and we need to start cleaning it up. But people say this all the time, what we need is action. So how can we start to "clean up" the world? First, there's the issue of plastic. People need to recycle and reuse whenever possible. When you see plastic on the beach or on the side of the road, you should pick it up and recycle it. Bringing reusable bags when shopping and investing on a reusable water bottle would help cut down on plastic accumulation. Scientists and engineers have been working on creating new recycling systems, and funding would be helpful for this as well. Harmful artificial fertilizers and pesticides also poison the Earth. Growing your own or buying organic food is best. Composting your food and using that compost in a garden would also help clean up the Earth. Another example is using long-lasting lightbulbs. These are just some examples of how to help clean up the world. Everything helps!

Tula B-P

I totally agree with everything you guys have said about using recycling and reuse to clean up the world. However, I also feel that it's critical to emphasize the importance of reducing the amount of waste production. When talking about waste problems, people often turn to cleaning it up and forget to look at the systems that created the problem in the first place. Take plastic pollution as an example. There are many organizations and efforts to clean up our oceans and beaches, and to help suffering marine life––they essentially seek to remove the pollutant and clean up the problem. This is an important action, but without reducing the production of plastic and changing the consumption patterns that have polluted the oceans, clean-up can't really create long-term change for the planet. Cleaning up is only effective when real change is happening at the source. While it’s still important to recycle and build better systems for it, more recycling will not solve plastic pollution or our overconsumption and waste problems. We have devoted most of our time, energy, and resources to recycling in the past few centuries simply because it is the easiest. It does not threaten corporate business models and supply chains based on throwaway, disposable consumer goods. But in order to solve the problems we have created, we have to move beyond individual efforts, and think big picture; we have to rethink the economy. We have to move towards reuse systems that will alleviate the single-use, throwaway economy that has been normalized and shaped the way we as humans interact with our planet. A system I can think of would be the Next-Gen Cup, working to implement different reusable cup policies with different businesses across many different countries. They follow the format of the circular economy. Imagine a to-go cup that can be reused again and again––that is the basis of their system.

4 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer