Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Home Grown

How much does eating locally-produced food help the climate problem? What are the other potential environmental and social benefits of eating locally-grown/produced food? Do you have a food garden in your school or at home? If not, do you want one?

Home Grown >

Gardening

katherinefc

Eating home grown or locally grown food helps the climate problem because it reduces or eliminates the need for transporting food. My family has a garden in our backyard where we grow tomatoes, squash, strawberries, peaches, plums, etc. If you have the ability to, I would really recommend starting your own garden. Not only will you get fresh, delicious food, but the environment will benefit from it!

Ashtree

I agree that growing food locally or at home helps global warming because it reduces/does not require transportation. If you grow food at home, you won't have to use your car and release carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the air. Although you may have to use your car to get locally grown foods, it probably won't be too far to get there.

Lea Z.

I agree that both purchasing locally sourced food, and cultivating your own garden have immense benefits. Not only does buying local reduce transportation emissions, buying local emphasizes the importance of supporting local businesses! So much of what goes into producing mass amounts of food these days involve pesticides and other synthetic fertilizers, which local foods and home grown food typically steer clear of. If you choose to buy local, you also have the opportunity to understand how the food was grown and if there were any pesticides used. On top of the environmental benefits of locally grown food, you are essentially buying and consuming food that is in season. And of course, to reiterate what both of you said, the major impact of growing or buying local is fewer CO2 emissions by transportation of goods! An added bonus is that plants consume CO2 in the process of photosynthesis!

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer