Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Off the Table?

Are there aspects of your daily life that you know contribute to your carbon footprint but you are unwilling to compromise to change them? In other words, what about your life is “off the table” when it comes to carbon emissions? It's OK to admit it- we all have these cherished behaviors!

Off the Table? >

Off the Table

LiliroseL

Although I am willing to sacrifice a lot in the face of environmental activism, on a personal level, I think it'd be extremely difficult for me to become vegetarian. I have allergies to a lot of things vegetarians consume to make up for the protein from not eating meat, such as soy, green beans, tofu, and nuts.

Habibi

Yes as human we would want to make sacrifice for the place we live in to keep it in a good condition but there would be some stuff like you mention food that most people can't really change anything about it.

Maeve1

I agree that going vegan would be hard, I personally love milk and cheese so that would be really hard. However going vegetarian I think would be why easier because the only meat i enjoy eating is chicken and bacon and sometimes steak. I do not like pork or lamb
and i think the benefits of going vegetarian or vegan would heavily help stop climate change and even more if lots of people did so.

raine.A

I think you rise a good point. going vegetarian would be pretty difficult. personally I don't have don't have any dairy products for health reasons anyways so, most of the time the main place I get my protein from is meat and eggs.

Clara V

If going vegan or vegetarian sounds hard, or you cant because of allergies, then think about buying local meat, or just cutting out red meat. If everyone started to Make little changes like buying locally, or cutting out certain meats, we could really limit the emissions some of the farming for these certain products create.

Awnin

To be completely honest and realisticI don’t think I would ever choose to be completely vegan, or vegetarian. But I want to put emphasis on the completely part of that. I try not to eat much beef, and pork, and other meats but I don’t think I would cut these things out completely. I just want to say that you can still help out even if you aren't vegan, or vegetarian simply by being conscious and making small changes in your diet and habits. I also agree that it is super important to buy locally. Which is another simple change that can help greatly. I think that local food and other things should be more widely available and easy for everyone to access. It is typically more expensive which makes sense and I think that living locally should be something for everyone not just those who have a lot of money. Even if it doesn’t make sense financially or whatnot to eat completely local, it could certainly make a difference just to trade in some of the things you eat for the sustainable and local alternative.

WalterTheWalnut

I completely agree with the user “Awnin”. The economic logistics makes it very hard for those who are low-income or face other economic challenges to become vegan or even vegetarian. I also agree with the user “Clara V”, who stated a great way to reduce your carbon footprint if you cannot commit to a new diet  - Buying local meat and produce. By doing this you are not only reducing how far your food has to travel and thus use less CO2 from trucks, planes, and/or boats, but also are supporting your local farmers!

Naomi.fisher-barrett

Personally, coming from a mainly vegan household a see both the good side, and bad sides of the lifestyle. I understand being vegan can be hard for many people because of allergy’s and medical conditions, but if you don't have any of those, going vegan or even vegetarian is an amazing option. I will say I was reluctant at first to cut out animal products and still I sometimes eat them outside of my home, but cutting a big portion of my diet, has substantially  helped my health. I don’t even notice anymore that I don’t eat meat very much, but I will say I notice dairy. I used to love milk and I hate other nut milks, so that was really hard to ween off of. I’m definitely not saying I don’t ever eat animal products. Once and awhile ill get cream cheese, or some milk for cereal, but I can say that I have cut almost 80% of it out of my life, and it wasn’t very difficult.  Even if you can’t have a fully vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, I think just being conscious of where you’re buying your products from and what exactly you are eating is a really good step in the right direction.

Maggie13

I understand what you mean in a sense. When I was younger I was vegetarian for a year because people told me I didn’t have the willpower to do it. However, during that year I suffered from a bad iron deficiency. I tried so many different things that were high in iron, but it never helped much. Because of this, it’s really hard for me to be vegetarian even if I want to for the environment. But your health needs to come first, and you need proteins. Try having vegetarian based meals every once and awhile, not ones that have things your allergic to in it. However, they may not have the best protein so you can still have meals with meat in it some nights. But maybe have a meal or two that uses black black beans as the main protein, assuming you’re not allergic to those as well.

9 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer