Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Home Grown

How much does eating locally-produced food help the climate problem? What are the other potential environmental and social benefits of eating locally-grown/produced food? Do you have a food garden in your school or at home? If not, do you want one?

Home Grown >

make or grow your own food

luisr

we can make and grow our own foods so we can maybe stop wasting money or running out of food in stores

Maria Ramos

I agree with you

Charlesp

I agree with you, but not everyone lives in a climate where they can grow food. For example people in apartments who live in. Cities. I think buying local and getting organic foods is a great way to save money. And composting is a great way to not waste food.

Meilsonwheels

I agree! People who don’t have land access to grow their own food should get as much local and organic produce as they can and take advantage of community gardens in the city. If you’re able to grow your own food, it’s important to do that as much as you can to save money and reduce your carbon footprint. I also agree that composting is a great way to help grow your own food and have a negative impact on your carbon footprint.

Charlie915

I also do agree with you. I think that if you have a backyard and are willing to make a garden then you should definitely should do it it has so many benefits for the environment. But if you dont have access you should but locally grown organic foods to help combat.

Audrey Strong

I agree. Food waste is a big problem and growing your own food and buying local can help. Gardening specifically is a great solution. In a post above someone said something about people not being able to grow food if they don’t have the available backyard space but this can be solved. There are many plants that you can grow inside your house and this could help with this issue. Also personally I have a garden in my yard and growing yummy food is not only good for the environment but it is also help  you eat healthy and get free and delicious fresh food.

ddaliaa

I agree that growing your own food is a simple way to be more environmentally clean, but for the topic of buying local or organic food, not everyone can afford it. Many people obviously want to reduce their CO2 emissions, but many people also are not able to plant their own vegetables, or buy organic food.

ddaliaa

I agree that growing your own food is a simple way to be more environmentally clean, but for the topic of buying local or organic food, not everyone can afford it. Many people obviously want to reduce their CO2 emissions, but many people also are not able to plant their own vegetables, or buy organic food.

Dilshodbek

I think that while what you are saying does sound good in respect to carbon emissions, you also have to consider there are costs to growing your own food, apart from the obvious ones such as labor,time, and the literal cost of procuring the materials necessary. Growing your own food is often much less water efficient than advanced farming methods such as hydroponics, and so it wastes a lot more water than just buying from something like a farmers market, where there are farmers that do use hydroponics.

MacPierce

I definitely agree, growing or buying local foods will reduce your carbon footprint. Without having to order food or buy it from a chain of stores, you can save money and eat better food. growing food reduces waste because there isn't any transportation needed. There is less plastic, gas, and production needed to get your food.

Maggie13

I agree with you. I’m lucky to have grown up with a huge garden, and it provides us with vegetables that stored correctly we can use throughout the winter. However, as said before, many people aren’t this lucky. Some live in climates where important vegetables can’t grow. Others don’t have backyards to have a garden. On the topic of locally grown and organic food, in my experience it has always been expensive. When something says organic or locally grown the price will often get marked up a few dollars. This is because there’s a lot more time and effort put into growing plants without chemicals. I would know since I spend half the summer pulling bugs off plants.

JacobT

I think that it is important that we reduce emissions of carbon into our environment. One way is by growing our own food. Unfortunately I currently do not have my own garden, but if I can convince my parents to make one then we could reduce our food emissions greatly.

Kelsie.rogers

I agree with you, i believe that if we grow more of our own foods then we could reduced emission form having to go back and forth from the grocery store.

Ariaaa

I agree all of this. Growing your own food at home or eating from a neighbor’s garden is helpful and important because not only do you not have to drive to the grocery store as often, but also eating locally means your food hasn’t traveled so many miles from where is was made to another stop and another and another and then finally to you. Local food also typically has way less plastic packaging than food from a store.

Flynnlilly24

I agree with you. However, not everyone has enough yard space, or even a yard at all to have a garden. It is crucial that if you cannot grow your own food that you purchase locally and organically.

Madison.Libby

I completely agree with you! Growing your own food definitely has its advantages, such as reducing your carbon  footprint and having access to fresh, healthy produce. However, I understand that it may not be feasible for everyone. Buying locally grown produce is a great alternative that can also help reduce emissions from transportation. It’s a win-win situation because you’re supporting local farmers while also reducing your carbon footprint. It might take some effort to adapt to these changes, but in the long run, its worth it for the environment and our health.

Pariton

to change my eating habits, I started to grow my own small vegetable garden in order to eat my own products and to limit imports

Gurung

My family has been doing this for years in order to reduce the expenses of buying gorcery along with other natural reasons which I can totally side with because most of the food from local stores can sometimes be contaminated from transportation but growing your own food seems to be more safe and healthy by growing your own food.

18 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer