Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

MY Family Footprint

Many students using our footprint calculator said that they could not pledge to reduce their home footprints because they were not making the decisions for the household. Here is your chance to design your own sustainable virtual household!

If you had your own home, what would you do to make it more energy efficient? Where would you get your electricity from? Where would your house be? Would you live near to your school or work or local transit options? Where would you get your food from?

MY Family Footprint >

How to Keep a Low Carbon Footprint

dycoBOD

My families carbon footprint was about where I expected it to be. My family does a pretty good job of reducing our carbon footprint because we've been smart with our decisions about saving light and carpooling a lot of time for transportation. I only had about 7,700kgs of carbon per year, compared to the average 9,700. As I mentioned, I carpool and don't use up a lot of light. My house doesn't have very many lights, and I carpool to school almost every morning. On top of that, my Dad is a chef, so he is big on not wasting food and only taking what you're going to eat. From the website European Union, it says one of the best ways you can reduce your carbon footprint food wise is by consuming local and seasonal products and not eating to much meat, especially beef. I'd say in my family we are pretty good at that. If my family continues to do this, nothing huge will change but doing the little things can go a long way.
Source:
https://europa.eu/youth/get-involved/su … otprint_en

Luis Aguilar

I agree with your family, by not wasting food, buying large amounts of meat products, saving energy, carpooling, and buying local products, this does help with reducing the amount of carbon emitted. Another way to reduce your carbon footprint is to reduce the number of clothes or the number of electronics bought, which takes a lot of energy to manufacture.

HayleysCanada!!!

Some small things that could be done to keep a low carbon footprint are things like limiting the amount of times you turn the lights on, keeping your water use to a minimum, using public transportation instead of using a car, and purchasing second hand items. Clothing industries tend to use a lot of unnecessary packaging and need a lot of transportation to get to you. This process adds quite a bit of carbon into the atmosphere so instead of buying things brand new, you could go to a thrift store.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer