Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Off the Table?

Are there aspects of your daily life that you know contribute to your carbon footprint but you are unwilling to compromise to change them? In other words, what about your life is “off the table” when it comes to carbon emissions? It's OK to admit it- we all have these cherished behaviors!

Off the Table? >

Cotton Shirts

Sophie_autumn

I don’t think people should keep making cotton shirts. They actually use up a lot of water. They take 2,700 liters just to make 1 cotton shirt. If we start to produce less of these (or even stop making them at all) that would conserve a lot of water.

hahahahahah

I think people could also think if those shirts are really needed so they don't waste money and also resources

riannahao:)

This is very true considering what happens under my household. In my family, my mom does quite a lot of shopping online and in malls. Most of the time she buys things that are really not needed considering she already has a bunch of clothing at home, in her closet. This goes the same for shoes and handbags, most dads like mine, buy tons of shoes when the only difference is the color or designs. As well for handbags, they might look the same just because of the name or color and design. This is why people should really consider weather they NEED it or they WANT it.

katherine10

I agree with your point. People often buy things they do not need such as shoes or scarves. My parents also experience the same thing, they often buy things they want when they have the same design at home. If it is actually needed such as a clothing that is damaged, it would be reasonable to buy a new one. If it a new piece of clothing that has not been worn or tried on at all, I don’t see a reason to buy a new one. Also in different events such as Halloween, I don’t people need to buy a new costume every year. You can rent one or buy one at least once every 2 to 3 years. If we stop buying clothing that we don’t need, we can conserve much more water.

HenryLin

I agree because one cotton shirt uses about 2700 liter which is enough for a average person to drink 900 days which is really wasting water just for one shirt i strongly believe we should start find new resources or material to make shirt that doesn't waste water

tayakc

I agree with your points about people buying way more clothing than they need. Fast fashion is a major contributor to climate change, using lots of water and energy from fossil fuels. It is also very unethical because the people producing the garments are often working in dangerous conditions, and many are not even paid a living wage! I don’t think that we should stop making cotton shirts though, instead I think it’s important to buy less of them and embrace the concept of slow fashion. This is basically buying much less clothing, but higher quality items so that they last a long time. The individual pieces are often more expensive, but in the long run slow fashion can actually save you a lot of money. The price of lots of cheap clothes adds up! More people need to understand that what’s cool isn’t always having the clothing that’s on trend, it’s building your own personal style while being kinder to the environment.

6 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer