Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Does the type of food we eat affect carbon footprint

Monique_1234

It does. Certain foods like eggs meat and cheese really effect carbon footprint the most

ANCHAL

The foods that affect carbon footprint the most are the production of meat, milk, cheese and eggs. Another problem is for example transport, distribution and packaging. I think
to limit the ecological footprint we must: consume local and seasonal products; limit the consumption of meat, specially red ones or when shopping use reusable bags and avoid products with excessive plastic packaging.

HayleysCanada!!!

The types of food we eat do affect our carbon footprint. Foods like meat products tend to have a significant impact. The reason for this is because animals take a lot of resources to get to the point where we can actually eat them. For example, cows need a lot of grass to eat and space to roam. As the need for beef increases, the livestock population must go up. Which means more space is needed and so more trees are getting cut down to create that space. This is adding a large amount of carbon into the atmosphere. Just cutting out beef from your diet would have a huge impact on the world for the better. If you ever want to have a more environmentally conscious diet, try and limit the amount of meats you consume(especially beef).

Nora Giddings

The foods that we eat greatly impact our carbon footprint. If your a vegetarian you are helping the planet so much, Especially by buying local and organic food. But a lot of vegetarians could also be producing carbon if they are buying foods shipped in loads of plastic or unhealthy ways of raising crops. People who regularly eat beef are producing a lot of carbon even if they don’t know it. I’m not saying you have to be a vegetarian but even if everyone in the world cut beef out of our diets the amount of green house gases in our atmosphere would be reduced by 14.5%.

raine.A

the types of food we eat definitely  effect out carbon footprint. I do agree with these statements but, buying local and being vegetarian is difficult for most people in the world. sometimes its due to money, and sometimes its due to the lack of vegetarian food options in the area that a person is living in. theres also the fact that the vegetarian options are very processed and shipped in from all over the world, so either way there is almost just as much carbon produced. sadly, this is just the way the world is and works, we all produce carbon but we also need to work on how much we produce. yes, people who eat meat regularly do produce a lot of carbon but, even just reducing the amount of beef you eat can help. personally I am not vegetarian but I'm trying my best to eat less meat and trying to reduce my carbon footprint as much as I can.

TallulahM

The food we eat in my opinion does definitely  effect our carbon footprint a good amount. However buying locally and organically and growing many of your own veggies does help. That being send many times these things are a lot more expensive and sometimes people can’t afford things to that extent. Also well said by Raine.A how many veggies are shipped all across the world after chemically processed. So that also uses carbon to make. So by taking small steps of reducing the amount of red meat people eat and trying there best to cut down to once a week beef meals it will start to help the carbon emitting from meat.Another reason why we should cut back on red meat is that yes it uses carbon to process, but also forests are cut down to produce industrial meat. After butting down the trees Billions upon Billions of tones of carbon is released into our atmosphere making global warming skyrocket. Often times the trees that are cut down are later burned furthering the emissions.  Not being a vegetarian or vegan myself I do try and cut down on my eating of red meat to help reduce my carbon footprint.

Kelsie.rogers

I agree with everyone, the food we eat definitely affects the carbon emissions. Eating more meats is creating more emissions because of the factories used for the meats, and the trucks used to transport the meats. All of these create more carbon emissions.

Ediem

Absolutely. It’s important to buy local food and eat in season so you aren’t shipping food across the country or world, emitting carbon.

8 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer