Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Extreme Weather

In the Northern Hemisphere in 2017 and 2018 brought several destructive hurricanes to the shores of North America, the Caribbean, and throughout the Pacific rim. Such extreme weather events are predicted to get more common and more severe with increasing climate change.

Several participating classes in the ISCFC were or are in the path of these storms and we hope for the best for them, their families and communities.

We would love to hear from students affected directly and indirectly by extreme weather events, and also any students who have been following the news this summer.

What are your thoughts about the connection between climate change and extreme weather events? Has this hurricane season increased your concern about climate change or not? Do you think that US citizens and residents (and others in the region) will take climate change more seriously now?

Extreme Weather >

Extreme Weather is caused by Climate Change

ian_cc06

Extreme weather may or may not have been caused my climate change. This may be true but however we cannot deny that climate change and greenhouses gasses definitely have a effect on extreme weather conditions that have happened over the world in the last decade. Rising sea levels is not exactly an extreme weather condition but is a effect of climate change that will cause a threat to humanity in the future.

Bennettcohen

I agree with your point that extreme weather is a virtue of climate change. Events from flash floods, to extreme drought are all being intensified by climate change. It is understood that the 2021 drought which was experienced in the western United States was 6 times more likely to take place due to climate change. Rainfall rates have also been seen to climb 7% each degree (Fahrenheit) of warming which takes place on earth, intensifying flooding, and hurricanes. Currently living close to the ocean, it gives me concern that we could see substantial sea level rise, resulting in coastal flooding, which has already been experienced in my our town. All of these issues bring to light the fact that with the catastrophes come a cost, physically, mentality and monetarily.

GabiJ

I agree with your point, I believe climate change is what heavily affects the weather and gives us these extreme weather conditions. Things like heat waves and big storms will continue to happen if we don't try to stop climate change and fix our choices.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer