Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Food and Hunger

Luiisa

Today we waste a lot of food, but in the word 828 milions of people suffer from hunger and in Italy we waste about 67 Kgs of food per inhabitant per year. To reduce the hunger we shoulden't throw food when is still good and we must learn to use everything we have to reduce waste.

LanaKukec

I completely agree, the number of hungry people in the world is huge, and in some parts, food is still not consumed rationally. Less food is wasted in Croatia than in Italy, about 22 kg of edible food per inhabitant per year, but it is still a large number. For example, 57 million tons of food were thrown away in the EU in 2020!

Dustin223

Do you know that Africa isn't dying because of hunger? THough there are still some places that still suffer from hunger but it's only a fifth of africa

bvad

I completely agree with you. Food waste is a major problem, and it's important tha we take steps to reduce it. One way to do this is by being more mindful of the food we buy and consume. We can try to plan our meals in advance, make a grocery list, and only buy what we need. We can also store our food properly to make it last longer, and use up leftovers instead of throwing them away. Additionally, we can support local food banks and other organizations that work to distribute food to those in need. By taking these steps, we can help reduce food waste and ensure that more people have access to the food they need.

zacab

I think it's ironic that there are people dying because of over eating in rich countries and in poor countries the people are dying because they don't have enough to eat.

vita barbir

Food waste can have serious environmental consequences, such as greenhouse gas emissions and water pollution. Additionally, the food we waste could be used to feed people who are hungry. That's why it's important to reduce the amount of food we waste and use food in the way that's more sustainable for the planet.

GijoBOD

I completely agree that reducing food waste is VERY important for sustainability and fighting hunger. About one-third of all food produced globally is lost or wasted, resulting in significant environmental consequences. Things like greenhouse gas emissions and water pollution happen because of this. This waste could feed almost 2 billion people, which is more than twice the number of undernourished people in the world. It's really important to take action like educating consumers and giving excess food to those that really need it.

I found some info from here: https://www.fao.org/platform-food-loss-waste/en/

K@teryna

Hi Luiisa, I completely agree that in this world today we waste a lot of food. Here in America we waste about 147.4 Kgs of food per individual per year. To solve this, I agree that we shouldn’t throw away good food but instead use everything in our power to lower the waste of food all around the world.

K@teryna

Hi Luiisa, I completely agree that in this world today we waste a lot of food. Here in America we waste about 147.4 Kgs of food per individual per year.To solve this, I agree that we shouldn’t throw away good food but instead use everything in our power to lower the waste of food all around the world.

etai

I completely agree with this take. Food is wasted in so many ways that we don't even know. Did you know that only (approx.) 32% of the world's population composts, and most of that comes from developing countries. Food waste is such a big problem, and not using our food to all of its abilities is costing us. In America alone, over 40% of our food is wasted, which puts 119 billion pounds, $408 billion in food, and over 130 billion meals in the trash YEARLY!

Buhg1

Everyday at school as I pass by the trash cans, I see so much food that was carelessly tossed because students don't want to eat it. It's sad because it can very simply be reversed, every student just has to eat everything given to them. However, something like controlling hundreds (and maybe thousands, depending on your school size) of students to eat what they have to take is impossible. Be the change, only throw your garbage away, not your food.

I completely agree with you, I live in america and according to rts.com we waste 325 lbs or 147 kgs of food per american per year. I also believe composting would be a good way to reduce food waste because it would still be food not used  but it is being put back into the environment. Which could create a healthier ecosystem.

https://www.rts.com/resources/guides/food-waste-america/#:~:text=That's%20estimated%20to%20be%20almost,pounds%20of%20waste%20per%20person.

You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer