Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Hunger in the world

AleMaf

I believe that the real problem of hunger in the world, which is very high, could be fought, better managing food waste, because it is not so much the production of food that fails to satiate everyone, but we who waste too much food. One third of all food produced worldwide (1.3 billion tons) is not consumed. This waste of food is a missed opportunity to combat the problem of food, in a world where one in eight people suffer from chronic hunger.
In addition to the waste of food, however, there are other causes of malnutrition in very poor countries, such as:
-The lack of investment in agriculture, third World countries do not have the opportunity to invest in agriculture, so they must buy food from other countries, but since the cost of transportation is excessive for them, they can’t get it;
-The wars and conflicts, refugees fleeing bloody wars and civil conflicts are deprived of everything: of a home, of affection and of any hope of having a future;
-And the instability of the markets, namely that the price of food is too high for these countries, this does not allow them to have access to food all year round, but only when the cost is low.
There’s an international organisation that helps children in these countries, it’s called “Save the Children”.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-3U4xEXoAA7k5V.jpg:large

https://s3.savethechildren.it/public/st … k=iA62j5Hl

M3011

Yes, I totally agree with everything you said. I believe that more and more produced food is being thrown away and that number can truly be reduced. For example, we can compost our food. We are also over-buying food and that food is thrown away instead of the excess food being sent to charities. To conclude, food prices are too high, which makes it difficult to buy food for third World countries that do not have good enough conditions to produce their own food. So rather than over-buying food and throwing it away, we can send that money to charities.

andrejmartinez

I also believe that we can stop a good portion of hunger in the world by just managing the food waste. Too much food goes to waste each year while millions of people are starving. I have also been meet with the work of Save the Children organisation. They take a big part in global hunger but yet it's not enough so that's why we need to step up with managing our food waste as said. I truly agree that is not the only reason why people are starving. High food prices also prevent people from eating in poor countries, but that is also where Save the Children organisation comes in and provides food with help of the donations from people all over the world.

jsante26@bishopodowd.org

I completely agree. In the United States where I live, 119 billion pounds of food is wasted annually. This is a huge issue and is also confusing because there are so many people who need food, but so many people throwing it away. I have seen stores throwing away tons of food if it is just one day expired, even if it is perfectly edible and healthy. This is a problem that has a solution. If we can repurpose this food and give unused food to people who need it, we can reduce food waste and hunger. https://usafacts.org/data/topics/people … f28d28c9f0

Schmaleks

I agree with everything that is said here. We live in a society where those who have enough money buy more food than they actually need and this food then rots and is thrown away. Whereby those who don't have enough money and also live in a poor country find it difficult to get enough food for themselves or their families. But you could think that there is no end to it because those who grew up with money will very likely also have money in their adult lives, while those who grew up poor have a hard time getting out of poverty.
(I'm sorry for my bad English. It's not my mother tongue)

Vananthony

I agree if people didn't waste so much food everyone on earth could have enough food and no one would be hungy.

Gurung

(I agree with this statement because I have seen a lot of people waste food as a kid and it has caught my attention that many people don't wonder or know the reason why poverty exists because of their lack of appreciation towards what they have.

Alina Iotko

I agree to everything that was said. Because of the extreme poverty people cannot afford food. Some people survive on less than $2.15 a day. While the world wastes about 2.5 billion tons of food every year, United States discards more food than any other country in the world.

Sources used: https://www.rts.com/resources/guides/food-waste-america/#:~:text=Here's%20some%20%E2%80%9Cfood%E2%80%9D%20for%20thought,120%20billion%20pounds%20%E2%80%94%20every%20year.

Alina Iotko

I agree to everything that was said. Because of the extreme poverty people cannot afford food. Some people survive on less than $2.15 a day. While the world wastes about 2.5 billion tons of food every year, United States discards more food than any other country in the world.

Sources used: https://www.rts.com/resources/guides/food-waste-america/#:~:text=Here's%20some%20%E2%80%9Cfood%E2%80%9D%20for%20thought,120%20billion%20pounds%20%E2%80%94%20every%20year.

9 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer