Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Extreme Weather

In the Northern Hemisphere in 2017 and 2018 brought several destructive hurricanes to the shores of North America, the Caribbean, and throughout the Pacific rim. Such extreme weather events are predicted to get more common and more severe with increasing climate change.

Several participating classes in the ISCFC were or are in the path of these storms and we hope for the best for them, their families and communities.

We would love to hear from students affected directly and indirectly by extreme weather events, and also any students who have been following the news this summer.

What are your thoughts about the connection between climate change and extreme weather events? Has this hurricane season increased your concern about climate change or not? Do you think that US citizens and residents (and others in the region) will take climate change more seriously now?

Extreme Weather >

environmental damage in my small village

Ciccio15

Year after year I'm seeing the increasing of catastrophic events, floods, melting glaciers and enormous damage to flora and fauna. The bees are going disappear and the soils are increasing fragile due to drought!!!

LanaKukec

I totally agree, temperatures are increasing year by year, winters are getting shorter, and floods and fires are frequent occurrences, and this significantly damages the environment.

TrerBOD

I also agree with this. The main cause of these historically bad floods and major glaciers melting is climate change. Because of the on and off torrential downpours our sea levels are rising at a historical rate. The reasons there are rising are not only because of the rain but also because of the glaciers melting. Our spring and summer season are extremely hot because of climate change and winters are shorter. This is causing rapid melting of the glaciers. Many people are dying each year because of floods and the cost of fixing a flood damage is mind boggling. In 2021 the Northeast experienced an average of 8 high tide flood days, which is a 200% increase compared to the number of flood days in the year 2000. Another huge problem we have is the increase in hurricanes. In the Atlantic area there are multiple hurricanes looming. It is looking like soon there could be the biggest year for hurricanes.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/03/11149811 … %20a%20lot.

isroBOD

I totally agree with everything being said... climate change and global warming is the cause to villages being destroyed and brought to rubble. I feel as if we, as a community tried to limit the amount of resources or at least be more mindful about how we use the things we have access to, then we could make an impact, even if it's minor. For instance, people should start using their air conditioning services only when absolutely necessary for any health issues or due to extreme weather. Another thing people could change is the way they shop for clothes, instead of buying new clothes, maybe thrift them and buy them (lightly) used, as a way to conserve the amount of machinery needed to produce material for clothing, which harms the environment entirely. Clothing is a big factor to climate change and global warming due to the high amount of carbon dioxide that is released into the atmosphere when the clothes are being produced... diminishing these actions could greatly impact not only humans, but animals that are going extinct due to the inhabitable environments that are being changed to submit to human needs. Small things like this, that most people could afford to acclimate to could greatly and positively impact our Earth and how the small villages, as you were talking about, can stay safe from any natural disasters agitated by climate change.

source used: https://www.sciencejournalforkids.org/w … rticle.pdf

librBOD1

I 100% agree with what you are saying climate change is destroying villages and nothing is being done about it too.

Alina Iotko

I agree with everything that has been said. Climate change and global warming had a big effect on United States and other countries. Drought conditions have impacted numerous of Southern and Midwestern states. There was a massive damage to the field crops from lack of rainfall. Ranchers had to sell off their livestock due to the high feeding cost. The drought also made the Mississippi river experience low water levels, with in the end impacted the water quality in Southern Louisiana. There was also a big hurricane near Keaton Beach, Florida. This hurricane, also known as Idalia, caused heavy damage to homes, businesses, vehicles, Etc.

Source used: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/billio … ?disasters[]=all-disasters

berto1234

Totalmente de acuerdo, una solución para este tema podría ser la lámina impermeabilizante https://www.estilguru.com/laminas-imper … ater-stop/

harris932

I agree. We're seeing more floods, melting glaciers, and damage to nature every year. Bees are in trouble, and drought is making soil fragile. We really need to take action to tackle climate change and protect our environment.

8 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer