Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

MY Family Footprint

Many students using our footprint calculator said that they could not pledge to reduce their home footprints because they were not making the decisions for the household. Here is your chance to design your own sustainable virtual household!

If you had your own home, what would you do to make it more energy efficient? Where would you get your electricity from? Where would your house be? Would you live near to your school or work or local transit options? Where would you get your food from?

MY Family Footprint >

MY Family Footprint

1234c

When looking at my overall carbon footprint, I noticed that the main contributors to my carbon footprint were what I ate and the energy I use in my home. This is because in my family we use our heating system frequently and we also tend to keep our lights on for a long time. If I owned my own home I would use more blankets to keep me warm and only use the heating when it's very cold out . In the case of overusing light bulbs, I think that I can start turning of the lights when I don't need them right now. My family also incorporates a great deal of meat into our diet which is why if I had my own home I would try to find vegetarian options in place of meat, foods such as broccoli or asparagus.

EleniN

My carbon footprint was lower than my country's average and it was pretty small, I did travel a lot this summer and that made my transportation portion to about 4000kg compared to 100kg and 200kg  in other areas. Seeing these numbers made me realize the effects of our actions and took in mind planing more carpool trips for me and friends when we get together since at least 100km of transportation was getting around to see them and do activities. I also took into mind was how people heat their homes and created conversation with my family to make changes about how we heat our home and my my own sort of difference with my carbon footprint and my family's. As far as purchases, my footprint was quite low and I don't see that changing soon. But I am glad that my school participated in this challenge as I see it as an opportunity to make a difference and always be aware of my footprint.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer