Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Home Grown

How much does eating locally-produced food help the climate problem? What are the other potential environmental and social benefits of eating locally-grown/produced food? Do you have a food garden in your school or at home? If not, do you want one?

Home Grown >

Home grown

1234c

By buying locally we are reducing the emissions we produce by food transportation. Although, I believe that the way that the food is grown has a bigger environmental impact than the transportation of those goods. So, I think we should try to eat both local and organic food although, eating local and organic foods can be expensive. I also think that we should be more careful with what we don't eat, considering about 20 percent of methane that Canada produces comes from landfills. Growing food in a garden at home could be a great solution and I think even the smallest of balcony's could be turned into a garden.

Bethany_G@rcia

I totally agree that buying and eating organic foods can be expensive and it's such a shame that food that is better for you and better quality is so money consuming. I like that you mentioned even the smallest of balconies could be turned into gardens, there are so many ways to make-do with what you have. You could use paper mache with things like newspapers and magazines or even documents you don't need anymore, examples would be things like old school work and notebook pages. Using this you could make things for your garden and even things like using old bottles and cutting them up to make plant pots is a great and creative idea.

Haywire

Is that statistic you mentioned accurate? That is a very thought provoking statistic, I completely agree with your sentiment that we should do our most with our lifestyle to help the environment, even if its small. I wonder if the U.S.'s statistics are similar or different.

tristine

Growing your produce and crops is a good idea, but could that also be expensive? Purchasing all the materials to start a garden could be more than buying your produce at the store.

4 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer