Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Food and hunger

MALB

Food waste, in some Italian family is very high and I'm very sorry for this since every day in the world many people die for hunger. After the result that I obtained by calculating my footprint I will be more careful not to throw away all the foof and buy less.

hbwhitby

Yes, also if you waste food, you can compost and recycle so we dont ¨waste¨ that much food.

Kaytee K

I agree, I have bad food waste in my family but i have started to talk to my parents about composting in my back yard. I have also thought of taking a little less than i need, and then if im still hungry, i take a little more until i feel full.

Kendylhhh

I am located in Maine, USA and food water and state-wide hunger is a huge problem. One of the reasons a lot of people go hungry here is because they aren’t many well paying jobs. Our biggest city is Portland and even out biggest city doesn't have a lot of job opportunities. We need more industry and big companies to come to Maine, so more people can get jobs. Currently, a lot of families and people are living from paycheck-to-paycheck which isn’t ideal. Our minimum wage just went up to $13.75 and it was around $12. If there were more industries everywhere, that would increase the demand for people to work. That means more people would make money, decreasing the rate of world hunger. A solution you could do at home is if you have barn animals, you could feed them your table scraps that are safe for them to eat. You can also compost your food and then use that as soil for plants like flowers and vegetables. Instead of buying fruits and vegetables from the store, try growing them when you can. That will save carbon from going into our atmosphere because you wont be traveling to the grocery store. Another idea is to save leftovers from previous meals. For example, if you had pasta on Monday and you have leftovers, save it for Wednesday instead of throwing it away. That way you can save money and not have to throw away the food. My last way to help the environment is to buy reduced food. For example, I know at my local grocery store there is a section for reduced bakery goods. A lot of the time the food is still fine, it’s just the store isn’t legally aloud to sell the food if it’s technically expired.

Izzy Debrosky

Hunger in the US is a challenge people have to endure everyday. With inflation rising, higher food prices around the United States, families are having a much harder time feeding their families. Finding jobs are very hard right now, many places are closing down due to not being able to pay for their needs, leading to only few jobs open. I believe if there were more places to work, more people would want to work, leading to making money and putting food on the table for families. This worldwide problem and be solved starting with just a few easy things. Saving leftovers, composting, that compost and soon turn into soil which you can plant and garden with. Growing foods at home, reduce trips to the grocery store which puts carbon in the air.

MilesGupta

What is also to be kept in mind is that more environmentally friendly food is more expensive. This issue of affordable, healthy, environmentally friendly, produce, is yet another major factor that contributes to the global carbon footprint. One thing that I have to disagree with, is that finding a job is very difficult, at least in my area, businesses are extremely deprived of workers, some places even were so desperate as to pay someone $25 an hour just to wash dishes. This may be different in other places of the world, but in my experience finding a job is relatively easy.

Fiokers

I am from the Maine in the US, and we are lucky that we have easy access to fresh, locally grown foods, reducing the carbon emissions from transporting it. We are lucky living here, as most places in the US and the world do not have this luxury. And also even if they do have access to local food it is more expensive than otherwise. It would be very good if we were able to change this though, we could provide people with healthier, greener food, but in higher density areas this isn't feasible because this would require a much larger quantity of food would be required to meet the demands, and these areas might not be close enough to any land that would make farming profitable locally. Because of this the next best thing for people loving in cities to do is to buy less wasteful amounts of food and to move to more vegetarian diets

KYLIAN

Living in Maine, in the United States, I have the benefit of access to multiple sources of locally grown foods and a generally healthy area in terms of climate and carbon emissions. The fact that my area has this ability to grow food on farms and we are able to purchase it at an affordable price is a privilege, but not one that the vast majority of the world is able to experience. Prices, quality of produce, and increasing carbonation of the local environment are the rising factors of why most people cannot live like I am able to. This means that steps need to be made to improve the quality of life for all people. Growing foods at home, farming more efficiently, and increasing composting. These would all take work, but would improve conditions for people’s living and the environment around them. Small things making big impacts.

Olivewalker

Personally, my family buys all of our food organic, and as much as possible from local farmers and co-ops. However, we are only able to do this on account of having the resources, and living in an area where it is possible. The difference buying locally grown and organic food can make is astronomical. If we were able to create hydroponic gardens that produce organically cultivated crops and somehow distribute them worldwide in order to create a source of affordable locally grown food in areas where this would otherwise not be possible, there would be colossal change in the environment and world hunger alike. This could help combat deforestation and the destruction of land and soil by pesticides as well.

9 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer