Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Extreme Weather

In the Northern Hemisphere in 2017 and 2018 brought several destructive hurricanes to the shores of North America, the Caribbean, and throughout the Pacific rim. Such extreme weather events are predicted to get more common and more severe with increasing climate change.

Several participating classes in the ISCFC were or are in the path of these storms and we hope for the best for them, their families and communities.

We would love to hear from students affected directly and indirectly by extreme weather events, and also any students who have been following the news this summer.

What are your thoughts about the connection between climate change and extreme weather events? Has this hurricane season increased your concern about climate change or not? Do you think that US citizens and residents (and others in the region) will take climate change more seriously now?

Extreme Weather >

Extreme weather

Siggi112

The weather is changing very fast because of the climate change and in Iceland we can se it there has not been snow fall in all autumn and now it is December and not even now there is no snow

E32309

I agree that the weather is changing and it is a big problem. In the USA, especially in California where I live, we have been experiencing record breaking heats almost every summer. There have also been massive wildfires, heatwaves that can last into September, and an increased amount of deaths due to heat exposure. We definitely need to take action and do something about this before it's too late.

AdrielC

Yes, unfortunately carbon emissions have caused the average temperature to increase by 1 degree Celsius from the pre-industrial age. Though this may seem insignificant, a 1 degree increase in temperature is actually a extremely big deal. If the average temperature of Earth were to increase by another .5 Celcius, there may be more frequent heat waves and other natural disasters. Furthermore, ice glaciers could melt and cause flooding to many coastal areas. In short, small amounts of average temperature changes can create significant impacts to the weather.

Is this really something that can be fixed? Weather is a huge problem all around the world right now because of climate change, sure we can lower all of our carbon emissions in hopes of slowing climate change. This process has already started can it just stop or even slow down enough to show good results concerning weather across the globe.

Serenitie08

I agree our weather is changing fairly quickly due to climate change,  Over here in California where i live it’s been warm even during the fall the hot weather barely stopped about a week or so ago.   But all we can probably do is lower our  carbon emissions in hopes to slow down the climate change even just a little bit.

Adeliia

I have observed similar things, the weather is becoming more and more unpredictable every year. This year in California, the weather has been continuously warm through all of September and October which is extremely strange compared to last year, when it was storming constantly. This is due to our usage of fuel and our carbon footprint as humans; to emit greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, thus warming and moistening the air, we are tilting our nonlinear climate system towards greater intermittent instability. So, if you notice great changed in weather where you live, the increasing carbon footprint is likely responsible.

CharlieV76

I am also observing drastic changes in the climate here in Spain. This autumn has been extremely warm, with temperatures above normal for this time of year. It has barely rained in the last few months. The heat and drought have caused severe forest fires in some areas of the country.

Experts warn that these atypical conditions are due to climate change and that we can expect increasingly hotter summers and milder winters in the future. Heat waves will become more frequent and intense. This will have serious consequences for our agriculture, forests and water resources.

I believe governments must take urgent action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. But we also need to adapt already to the impacts that are inevitable. Policies are needed to better manage water scarcity, protect coastal areas from rising sea levels, care for our forests against fires, etc. The citizens can also contribute, for example by reducing our energy consumption. This is a global challenge that requires action at all levels.

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer