Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

MY Family Footprint

Many students using our footprint calculator said that they could not pledge to reduce their home footprints because they were not making the decisions for the household. Here is your chance to design your own sustainable virtual household!

If you had your own home, what would you do to make it more energy efficient? Where would you get your electricity from? Where would your house be? Would you live near to your school or work or local transit options? Where would you get your food from?

Liam andersen

My parents have always loved to travel and like to take my brother and I to new places. We almost always take a plane to the destinations we go to, and planes are terrible for the environment. When Covid hit, my family couldn’t go on vacation for a while. This was super sad for us and we realized how important travel is. Because Of this I’ve noticed that people are always gonna travel, and we should try and help make the planes better for the environment. This might take awhile to design but it would really help fix the issue.

Grahameggena

I completely agree with you about how planes emit too much carbon and how we need to make the more eco friendly. Hera are a couple of ideas of how they could be more efficient: we could make them electric an charge them with solar energy, we could try and make them glide more instead of relying on engine for the whole flight, and we could maybe even make subways under the ocean far into the future. But we can also just try to limit our plane use. For example, if you were to fly to Europe but you wanted to go got different countries, you should take trains.

SienaMarie

I agree with both of you! It’s hard to balance a love of traveling with environmental concerns as both are important. Liam, you raise a good point that it’s unreasonable to ask people to give up traveling as it’s something many people enjoy. Realistically, people are not going to stop traveling which is why environmentally conscious transportation means should be developed. Graham also raises a great point that there are other options to traveling by plane that are more environmentally friendly such as trains and communal busses. While these can often be overlooked as they bear the stigma of being slow and unpleasant, technology is actively being developed to combat these associations. Bullet trains are nearly as fast as planes and have a considerably lower carbon footprint. Additionally, it is important to consider the environmental impact of your vacation plans.

Emiliolae

I also agree with you, moreover for people like me who are living on an island, in the center of Pacific Ocean, it is difficult to not travel anymore: for example my family live in France and it is actually very important for me to go see them sometimes. However I think that we need to understand what travels are necessary or not and how can we travel in a more sustainable way because that is a fact, travelling a polluting too much. And that is why it so important to find solutions by investing in renewables energies such as hydrogen and overall to open the eyes of our new generations and educate everybody about the danger of too much carbon emissions.

4 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer