Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

MY Family Footprint

Many students using our footprint calculator said that they could not pledge to reduce their home footprints because they were not making the decisions for the household. Here is your chance to design your own sustainable virtual household!

If you had your own home, what would you do to make it more energy efficient? Where would you get your electricity from? Where would your house be? Would you live near to your school or work or local transit options? Where would you get your food from?

MY Family Footprint >

Family carbon footprint

LianaTalty

In my family, we are very conscious of our carbon footprint. We compost, we have vehicles with very good gas mileage (and my grandmother has an electric car which she often picks me up in), we shut the heat, internet, and water at our camp through the months that we aren’t using it, and we do other small things such as shutting lights that aren’t in use and only running the dishwasher if it is full. When I was younger, I became very concious of my family’s carbon footprint and would make signs next to each light switch to remind everyone to shut the light off. I also sometimes took cold showers because I learned that hot showers negatively effect your carbon footprint. Although there isn’t one major thing that we do as a family, we are very concious and aware of our emissions.

ConnorH123

Hi Mrs. Talty,

I’m thankful that you and your family are doing your best to keep your community safe. You are planning a very small roll in a big problem. I agree with your sustainability practices, as I myself practice some of these in my own home. There is always more we can do as well. A fun activity to do with your family is every time you use a plastic product and throw it alway drop some money in a jar. You can the put that money towards making your family’s house more sustainable or even saving up to make a purchase of an electric car. Thanks again for your sustainability efforts!

zoerugg2

I would also remind my family to turn off lights. Another big process that encourage in my family is taking cold showers. In the morning, I take a quick and cold shower to wake me up, and it has many health benefits as well. It is good for your hair, skin, and respiratory system. My brother has now started taking cold showers because of me. Another thing that my family does is we use solar power. It gives us approximately 40% of our hot water, and it saves. A lot of emissions that a hot water heater would emit. I take more showers in the morning, because the hot water from the solar is available then. We also have. A hybrid Toyota Highlander. This saves emissions while creating a more noise-friendly environment for the animals and our neighbors. I also do a lot of these, and they are all helpful to saving our planet!

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer