Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

MY Family Footprint

Many students using our footprint calculator said that they could not pledge to reduce their home footprints because they were not making the decisions for the household. Here is your chance to design your own sustainable virtual household!

If you had your own home, what would you do to make it more energy efficient? Where would you get your electricity from? Where would your house be? Would you live near to your school or work or local transit options? Where would you get your food from?

MY Family Footprint >

Traveling

Olivia McManus

My family loves to travel, from seeing new cultures to being able to feel tropical weather while it is still winter at home overall it is something my family cherishes. The idea of family vacations are great, I mean a break from school/work that you get to remember for the rest of your lives. For my family we try to go on at least one big vacation per year. It can be difficult at times planning trips around sports so for bigger vacations we usually go on planes since it is faster. Along with this we go to Philadelphia sometimes because my moms whole side of our family still lives there and we use to live there. When we travel there we usually drive, but instead I am going to encourage my family to take a bus down, so it is better for the environment because it is transporting more people and cutting down on individual burning of fossil fuels. If people transition to this for the main form of travel it can benefit our planet.

HDIZZLE

Hey, Olivia. I agree with your idea about wanting to shift to more eco-friendly modes of transportation. My family also travels a lot by car, and while this is the most direct route of transportation, it is not always the best for the environment. Buses are a good option because multiple people ride the bus at a time so it cuts down on individual carbon emissions. I know that there is a bus from Damariscotta to Boston that I have thought about taking to visit some of my family in Massachusetts. This is a good way to cut down on emissions especially for something with such a long distance. Because of this exercise I have become more aware of my carbon emissions and I will try to cut down on things like transportation emissions in the future.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer