Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Carbon Emissions

Gigi123

Food is essential for your body but I believe buying and feeding on food that is positively contributing to the environment is also a big part of the daily food I eat. Cutting beef can reduce health risks like heart disease,  lower cancer and also benefit the environment.  Therefore I make sure to consume less beef. I basically eat beef around 1x times in 4 months by replacing it with Chicken which decreases my dietary greenhouse gas emissions by 35.7%. I also make sure to recycle the packets my food is packaged with so we don't need to expend the energy to procure or manufacture new materials to create a product.

Gigi123

Transportation has an effect on climate. The cars we use are big contributors to releasing CO2 emissions into the atmosphere. As a part-time worker, I attempt to use my vehicle less often than I usually do when it is not urgent. Instead, I am attempting to use my bicycle to go to my workplace. According to data, 4.6 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year. Every gallon of gasoline burned creates about 8,887 grams of CO2. By using my bicycle more often, I am contributing to cutting down the greenhouse emission I release in a year through transportation because, unlike cars, bikes do not require fossil fuels and is a pollute-free transport.

Gigi123

Electrical appliances contribute to greenhouse emissions. The lights around your house increase the CO2 in the atmosphere and also disrupt sleep. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, electric power generates the second largest share of greenhouse gas emissions. This energy wired to our home is what we use to help run our home appliances like fridges, etc. The lights around your house increase the CO2 in the atmosphere and also disrupt sleep. Therefore, whenever you are not using your room, turning off your lights will help because it requires less electricity which requires fewer energy resources from having a bigger effect on the environment. Using cold water to bathe or take short baths are more preferred over hot showers. Because if you heat a gallon of water at home, you release 0.18 lbs of CO2 into the atmosphere. Then the hot water line at your home comes from a heat source like a hot water heater. Imagine the energy required to heat an entire bucket of water or a 30-minute hot shower/ bath. This also relates to washing our dishes in warm water which is not necessary. Instead making use of cold water for a short period of time to wash the dishes rather than completely depending on the dishwasher is a better choice and brings down not only your electricity bill but also the energy required to source it. These practices can bring down the amount of CO2 emission your produce from your household which is capable of creating a healthier environment.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer