Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Home Grown

How much does eating locally-produced food help the climate problem? What are the other potential environmental and social benefits of eating locally-grown/produced food? Do you have a food garden in your school or at home? If not, do you want one?

Home Grown >

Home Grown Food

Emma444

Homegrown foods are so much healthier than the ones you buy at the stores. Ones at the stores have chemicals that farmers use to make sure it doesn't get infected by bugs and things that allow them to grow but these aren't good for us. Things we can plant at home, like fruits and veggies are a lot better for us and honestly, they taste better too! Sometimes you get 20-plus veggies from plants and sometimes even more. In a way, you're also saving money with that. One bought from the store could cost $2.00 and a whole pack of seeds could be $0.99. Plus, it's more fun to do it from home, you get to actually take care of it and make your own food.

woolsey12345

I absolutely agree, my family has a garden in our backyard that produces so much! We may not be able to live entirely off food we grow ourselves, but we can definitely reduce the necessity of buying all our food from the store.

Krishh188

Homegrown foods indeed offer a range of benefits that extend beyond just being healthier and more cost-effective. When you cultivate your own fruits and vegetables, you have control over what goes into the soil and onto the plants, ensuring that no harmful chemicals or pesticides are used in the process. This results in more nutritious and chemical-free produce, contributing to a healthier lifestyle. Moreover, home gardening allows for a deeper connection to the food we consume; it fosters an appreciation for the time and effort that goes into growing food, which can be a highly rewarding and educational experience. As you rightly pointed out, it can be a cost-effective alternative, saving money in the long run. Not to mention, the satisfaction of nurturing your plants and harvesting your own food is immeasurable. In essence, home gardening not only improves the quality of what we eat but also provides an opportunity for individuals to take charge of their food production and foster a deeper sense of connection to the environment and the food we consume.

Elijah1928

I agree with this. Home grown foods are much more organic and better for people considering they don't have the chemicals companies use on them to either make them taste better or to be infected. Fruits and veggies are also much healthier and they're not even bad if you eat them at the right time and choose the ones you like. With a garden you can take part in the enjoyment of growing your own plants as well which is another pro of doing things like that at home.

Zack L

I fully agree that homegrown foods are indeed a healthier and more sustainable option than store-bought foods. They are free of pesticides and other chemicals, and they are more nutritious because they are harvested by the owner at the peak ripeness of the vegetable/fruit/produce. Additionally, homegrown foods are often more flavorful than store-bought foods, as they are not transported long distances or stored for long periods of time. They are definitely more organic while saving money.

Yoscelyn

I agree that producing fruits and vegetables is a better alternative than store-bought crops. These crops have pesticides that farmers use to have longer-lasting fruits and vegetables. It is also healthy.

makim1715

I totally agree with this comment. Home grown foods are first off fun to plant and watch grow, but there is also health benefits. As you stated some farmers just mass produce the produce, not caring about the quality of the produce itself. And knowing what you gave that plant and what fertilizers you used is safer and you feel more secure in consuming your produce. One last thing I would like to add is that growing your own produce is also better because you know that your food hasn't been genetically modified. Many fruits are genetically modified to fit a specific trait. For example watermelons are altered genetically to not produce seeds, so knowing your fruit isn't genetically modified in any way and is good quality is something to value and enjoy.

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer