Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

MY Family Footprint

Many students using our footprint calculator said that they could not pledge to reduce their home footprints because they were not making the decisions for the household. Here is your chance to design your own sustainable virtual household!

If you had your own home, what would you do to make it more energy efficient? Where would you get your electricity from? Where would your house be? Would you live near to your school or work or local transit options? Where would you get your food from?

MY Family Footprint >

My new family footprint

saibBOD

After recently taking a questionnaire to help assist my knowledge of how much I and my family put carbon footprints out into the world, I knew I needed a change. After receiving my results (20,056) and knowing the average in the US (16,000) I personally (although it's gonna be very hard) will now be more cautious of how much carbon dioxide I put out into the world, and what harm it could cause.
First of all, there are many changes I could make to improve my house to make it more environmentally friendly. For example, my family and I have been previously talking about purchasing solar panels to reduce carbon emissions and to reduce the electricity bill, who doesn't like saving money on their bills? Carbon emissions cause the planet to warm up which is why we are experiencing climate change because activities have raised the atmosphere's carbon dioxide content by 50% in less than 200 years. As Constellation, Houston Habitat for Humanity states, "The more we can capture the benefits of solar energy, the less we will rely on fossil fuels. Adding a solar energy system to your home allows you to tap into these solar energy advantages: Solar energy can reduce your home’s electricity bill, Solar energy is a renewable energy source and reduces carbon emissions, Solar power can get you money back through Solar Renewable Energy Credits." This is just stating the benefits we can receive from buying solar panels for our homes.
Sources: https://www.constellation.com/energy-10 … -cons.html.
Lastly, my family and I have recently been involved with gardening/planting many plants in our front/backyard to provide vegetation and to contain CO2 from leaving back into the atmosphere. CO2 in the atmosphere has many poor cons for our planet, too much CO2 can cause the climate change incident that is occurring to this day and forward. All this climate change causes forest fires, heat waves, sea level rise, and more. Although it takes time to grow your own food, it's all worth it in the end because you have fresh fruit/vegetables that also help make our world healthier. According to the College of Illinois, "Vegetable gardens benefit the environment in many ways. Locally grown vegetables reduce carbon emissions from burning fossil fuels. No plastic packaging is required when you harvest vegetables straight from the garden, which also reduces fossil fuel inputs. Pesticide and other chemical inputs can be much less in a small, well-tended garden than even a small farm." This shows all the different ways growing your own produce isn't only beneficial to yourself, but also to the environment and our planet. Source: https://extension.illinois.edu/blogs/il … all%20farm.

saibBOD

Thanks

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer